1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Since we took a ten percent pay cut this year, and found out last week that the company is freezing it's health insurance contribution at 2008 levels, despite the fact that most of our plan choices went up an average of 13-15% for next year, I don't expect (nor should I ever) a holiday bonus. We used to have a party with an open bar (bar was open for the first hour, then was changed to a cash bar...but you can drink a lot in an hour if you really try ;) ) But my guess is that that will be canceled as well. And I am fine with that. Please don't cut my pay, then expect me to come to some sort of celebration and act like nothing happened.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We got ours a few days ago. We expected it, but the bonus was more than I figured it would be.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My boss gave me cash and said I could use the more familiar 'tu' form with him rather than the formal 'usted.'
    Later he got angry because he thought I told the maid I got a bigger Christmas bonus.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

When you're right, o_t, you are right. (ideologically and otherwise :) )

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Those gifts were always horrendously bad. At this Scripps stop, we get a $25 gift card from our choice of businesses - Publix, Kohl's or a gas station. I'll take it.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's the gift that keeps on givin' all year, Clark.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We got a holiday bonus check around Thanksgiving – $500 or so, a slight uptick from the reduced check we got last year – but there will be no profit sharing this year as there were no profits.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Got our Christmas bonus today. Roughly equal to one day's pay.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

$25 gift certificate to a local grocery store. Beats the polo shirts with the company logo we used to get.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We got white T-shirts with a big giant logo on them as part of our Christmas bonus one time. If they had sprung the extra dollar or two each for polo shirts I'd at least have had a company shirt to wear while covering a game. The T-shirts just looked unprofessional and I told them that when they asked me if I'd ever worn my company T while working a ballgame.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first year I thought it was OK. But when we got them five consecutive years, it was a bit much.

Draft saved Draft deleted