1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I've never heard of getting the bosses Christmas gifts....that just doesn't seem right on any level.

My Christmas bonus was really good this year,....I got laid off.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

One year, I got a holiday turkey, which I took to the Salvation Army.
    The year before, at another radio station, I got a bushel of apples, as did the rest of the air staff. We seriously considered setting up a stand and selling them downtown. But it was cold.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's exceptionally cool.

I got a bonus this year, and I used some of it to pick up a single mother and 1-month-old off the Angel Tree at work. Wanted to give something back. Got the kid some clothes, toys and Pampers, and the mom a gift card.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At my first full-time gig in the mid-1990s, working for a chain of weekly newspapers, we'd usually get one of the leftover, frozen turkeys from the company's Thanksgiving turkey contest for the holidays. That company also hosted a Christmas party.

Took that stuff for granted at the time ...

These days? If I get an extra $5 shift bonus for working on Christmas Eve and Christmas night, I'm extremely grateful.

Five dollars buys a whole lot of party from the company vending machines!

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I got a rock.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Saw a thing on CNN where 39 percent of employees expect to get some kind of holiday bonus this year. I worked in journalism for 20 years and never got one. Well, unless you count the McClatchy mini-pocketknife I got in 1994.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

;D

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just confirmed this morning that we are getting Christmas bonuses this year, who knows how much.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm getting my severance check on the 24th. Happy holidays to me!

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I honestly can't remember if I got a Christmas bonus at my last newspaper stop. My SE used to give us gift cards to a local eatery, which was very cool, but I'm not sure about the upper mgmt giving bonuses. I want to say no.

Best part every year was when the SE gave us the gift cards. He'd throw them on our desk and say, "Merry Fucking Christmas!" Guess you had to be there.

At my first stop, we got $50 gift cards to Food Lion. Not a terrible bonus.

Not sure about my new place. Haven't heard anything.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Got 3 percent of my yearly salary this year. When I got hired, I was told that the company had given out bonuses in the past, but likely wouldn't this year, so it was a fantastic surprise.

12. KG

KG Active Member

The only time I got a Christmas bonus was when I was a nanny.

Draft saved Draft deleted