1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Shite Sox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 6, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about in 2006? [/poking angry A_QB with a stick]

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I didn't see an error in the initial headline.

Did I miss something?

3. Looked fine to me.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I heard it was cancelled because the Astros 1) didn't take enough steroids and 2) had Phil Garner as manager.

5. I always love this hilarious notion that the 2005 World Series wasn't important because there wasn't a team from New Yawk or Bawston in it. FYI, the White Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1917, and had gone two years longer than the Red Sox had by the time they won it in 2005.

It was a major, major moment in Chicago sports, but Bob Ryan didn't write a book about it ahead of time, so there you go.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Who said it wsn't important? All I argued is that the title doesn't mean that Williams made good moves. They were the best team by October, and there were valuable lessons to be learned (let your best pitchers pitch). The St. Louis one is the title I consider fluky and annoying because they clearly were far from the best team.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If winning a World Series title isn't a sign your GM has made good moves, what is? On the whole, you look at Kenny Williams' deals, and the White Sox have come out for the better. If there's a criticism, it's that the organization just doesn't seem to be able to develop consistently players from inside its own organization, a failing that is all the more apparent when you share a division with the Twins.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Speaking of developing players, Alexei Ramirez has been benched in favor Jayson Nix. Talk about a sophomore slump.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The word coming out of here is that the problem isn't that the Sox aren't developing Ramirez. It's that they they're trying, but he won't listen.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

You'd think a sub-.200 average and 1 HR through the first month might make one a little less stubborn. But I guess not. This team will be lucky to win 75 games.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just want to say that you are all full of Whit.

12. Rip Williams all you want. That doesn't bother me. It's the snide remarks I've been hearing from the coasts since 2005 about that World Series and how nobody noticed, nobody watched, it didn't really happen, etc., etc. Ha ha ha ha. So hilarious! Two dumb non-coast teams!

Draft saved Draft deleted