1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Shite Sox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 6, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Armchair_QB = Dead. To. Pallister!!!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Shiite Socks are Iraq's finest ball club.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

The White Sox won the WS in 2005 because they were the best all-around team in baseball.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You often see the "best all-around team in baseball" finish 9th out of 14 teams in runs scored.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The Sox that year could hit for power, they could run, they got clutch hits and they had great pitching from Day 1. They scored enough runs to win a league-high 99 games. They did pretty much everything right at the right times.

6. RickStain

They had great pitching and they hit for power. They led the league in caught stealings and they finished very middle of the pack in virtually every small-ball stat you could think of.

They hit .248 in "close and late" situations, .247 with runners in scoring position and two outs, and .259 with men on base.

They were one of about a half a dozen teams that were bunched together at the top of MLB thanks to their amazing pitching staff, and that pitching staff got hot in October. End of story.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, they got lucky to lead from wire to wire, win 99 games and only lose once in the postseason. Pure fluke of a championship.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There was no World Series in 2005.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes there was. I've got a DVD to prove it. Want me to send it to you so you can finally watch it?

10. RickStain

I didn't say that. Please read my posts and try again. I'm going to assume that you are making stuff up that I didn't say because you have no answer for how your "clutch hits" theory was refuted?

There was no clear best team in baseball that year. There were four very good teams in the AL and one or two (if you want to throw the Braves in there) in the NL.

When you have six teams that are very good but no one clearly better than the others, the winner will be the one that gets hot in the playoffs.

They deserved it as much as anyone else, but that's no reason to start making up stuff about their team. They weren't balanced, they were bad at small ball, and they depended on the home run more than most teams.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Right, I'm supposed to believe it happened just because it's on a DVD.

You can't fool me.

12. Just about anything can be accomplished with CGI these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted