1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Cubs and the "Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the presidential candidates are the problem, but rather the people they have to answer to in the legislatures. We were talking a little bit on the Lugar/Mourdock thread about the "sore loser" laws that 47 states have adopted, in which you can't run as an independent once you lose your party's primary. There is some empirical evidence that these have pushed candidates farther right and left (although Joe Donnelly, Mourdock's opponent in the Indiana Senate race, is a pro-life Democrat) because they know that their one and only shot is to pander to their party's base. Now, I'm not sure that there were a ton of successful third-party second-chance candidates before the laws were enacted, but I would guess that just the possibility of that challenge served as a shadow over candidates to keep them moderate to some degree.

2. Dick Whitman

They were talking on the radio this morning about whether this will piss off Rahm Emmanuel enough to throw a wrench into any Wrigley Field renovation plans.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't get the "thanks John Roberts" bit.

Both sides will have about the same amount of money. If someone wants to spend some of it reminding people of the Obama/Wright relationship, I don't see a problem with it.

It probably won't work, since it is old news, but people have always been judged by the company they keep. Why should Wright, and his views be off the table?

And, if talking about it will sway votes, why wouldn't a campaign (or it's outside supporters) talk about it?

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I heard the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate is going to take on Tom Harkin.

5. Dick Whitman

John McCain felt it was race-baiting and didn't want to go there.

I'll say this: Mitt Romney should probably tread very, very carefully if he wants to make religion an issue in this campaign. Very carefully.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Wait...

He's still a scary black man? I had no idea! That's it, voting for Romney.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I doubt Rahm is looking to piss off Obama, but he's too smart to let his "friendship" with the President decide how he's going to run the City.

Besides, I don't think Rahm has gotten over the President shifting the G8 summit from Chicago to Camp David without consulting him first.

Rahm was blindsided & pissed.

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but that kind of falls into the category of, "I can talk shit about my family, but woe to the outsider who thinks he can do the same"

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Played with fire? Trinity is part of the United Church of Christ, a mainline denomination. It's not some fringe organization. And particularly under Wright, Trinity became a leader in Chicago in faith-based charity and outreach -- something, presumably, Republicans love. Apparently Obama's major mistake was not joining a church where, say, the pastor said you should beat the shit out of your gay kids or Mormonism is not Christianity or Jesus wants you to be rich and not give money to lazy poor people or whatever else is supposed to be acceptable Christian political right thought.

10. Dick Whitman

Obama himself has repudiated some of Wright's rhetoric.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So we're going to dig (again) deeply into the President's religious history and do just exactly what about Mr. Romney's?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After reading the article, I kind of have a hard time believing that anyone who voted for Obama in 2008 would change their minds based on what they're trying to do. I think it might have cost him votes four years ago, but not nearly enough to lose the election.

It will be interesting to see if this actually happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted