1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Cubs and the "Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obama is probably wishing McCain had really gone after him in 2008 because it wouldn't have made a lick of difference... This time, it might...

2. Mizzougrad96

There was something that came out last week, I don't think it got too much play, that there is some book out that alleges that Obama paid or had somebody pay Wright $150K not to preach until after the election in 2008.

I didn't really read it, but it sounds like Wright confirmed this. Nothing illegal there, but it shows that Obama was concerned about it at the time.

As much as we all say we hate negative ads, they are proven to work, so who knows?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's always interesting when scandals get drug up for a second time. It happened to Ron Paul during the GOP primaries, re: his old newsletters. It would have been interesting to see if John Kerry would have had to face the Swift Boat stuff again in 2008. I'm sure the impact is lessened the second time around, but probably no completely eradicated.

Romney is definitely a hit artist of the highest degree. He plays dirty, and that's half-compliment, half-criticism.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In just about every state during the primary season, Romney would lose ground, then he would blast away at Santorum and regain his footing. It's his best chance.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He played with fire by attending that church, gambling that the gains in African-American authenticity - remember, there was at least some chatter about how his not being a descendant of slaves, and of being raised by a white mother and grandparent, harmed his black bona fides - would outweigh the hit he'd take from guilt by association with a firebrand like Wright. So far he hasn't gotten burned.

I'm just wondering how much impact this will have this time around, though. In 2008, it might have worked, because there was still this notion that Obama was a Black Muslim radical who was going to upend the social order. Now, only the looniest of the loons could possibly think that after seeing him in action for four years.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

His campaign just "repudiated" any efforts to use the Rev. Wright. Which means now it's going to happen, and he can just say "We were against it" if it backfires. And if it works, he can just keep his mouth shut.

Thanks, John Roberts.

7. Mizzougrad96

It really is. It's kind of sad to say, but at least he's doing what has worked.

8. Mizzougrad96

Nothing would have worked in 2008.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think it was Bill Maher who said, "Don't underestimate Romney."

I think that can be easy to do because he does so many stupid things, but I kind of like that the gloves are off.

I'd rather see that than the look of defeat and indifference that McCain had from August on in 2008.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So you want to see an ugly campaign that scorches the earth for whoever wins?

Yay! Four more years of gridlock!

11. Mizzougrad96

No, I don't... Although, I fear we get gridlock no matter who wins... I think it will take another Clinton or Reagan to end the gridlock, a candidate with crossover appeal... Obama doesn't have that, Romney doesn't have that...

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as crossover appeal in the current GOP landscape. Crossover, compromise and mutual agreement are political death.

Draft saved Draft deleted