1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Code

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Sounds like I need to check out Southland. I'm a big fan of The Shield, Breaking Bad and Justified (although I gave up on it midway through the first season before reading, and confirming, that it got better toward the end), and I'm always looking for another good show to add to the mix. Especially once I give up on Chicago Code.

As i mentioned in an earlier post, my disappointment -- and, yes, it's early -- isn't just with Chicago Code. It's with network dramas. Outside of comedies (Modern Family is great), it just seems impossible to find thoughtful, smart television nowadays on the networks. When Studio 60 was on briefly a few years ago, I loved that and looked forward to it following the West Wing as that rare gem that doesn't need grit and grime to succeed. Then it was canceled, confirming that most of America doesn't want something like that when 16 and Pregnant is only a few channels away.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, Studio 60 was canceled because it sucked. I'm not sure how one can truly judge a show after 2 episodes - I'm willing to give Chicago Code a chance - but agree that with cable fare (FX, A&E, HBO, etc.) it makes it more difficult for network shows.

3. I disagree about Studio 60, but otherwise, it's absolutely not fair to judge a show after two episodes. Part of my impatience comes from an overall lack of quality in Chicago Code's network peer group, and the rest from two boring and convoluted episodes. It's more difficult for me to give network shows a chance, and when I do and they don't immediately deliver -- the pilot is supposed to be absolutely riveting, and Code's wasn't -- it's not easy for me to remain engaged.

I'll admit, I'm not the most patient TV watcher ever, as evidenced by my wrestling match with Justified last year. I'm not giving up on Code just yet, but already, if I miss a couple episodes, I don't know how eager I'll be to go back and catch up. Hopefully I'm wrong and the next episode is amazing.

4. This show get any better? I missed the last two episodes and haven't yet bothered to go catch up.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I like it. But I'm a sucker for shows filmed on location outside of LA. I really wonder about the difference between cable and broadcasting show production. Seems like most cable dramas are shot well in advance of their broadcast and play like one long movie. While broadcast shows are made with a shorter lead time (don't think that's the case with Chicago Code though).
    I love Justified. It reminds me of those movies Eastwood and Reynolds made in the early to mid 70s. Loads of great character actors, great mood and a decent car chase or two and lots of gun play.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

RIP the Code, and Lie to Me, and Traffic Light, and a some other Fox shows...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/fox-renews-fringe-but-cancels-chicago-code-human-target-and-more.html

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wanted to like Chicago Code and have been DVRing it, but haven't even bothered to watch the last couple of episodes.

It was just too cartoonish in it's development of characters. Better, more subtle characters and story lines would have really helped.

I too liked that it was shot on location in Chicago. But, I imagine that also resulted in higher costs than a show shot on a sound stage and meant it was on a shorter leash.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have every episode but the first one on the DVR. I guess I can start deleting them, as well as the Christian Slater show...

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Liked it, didn't love it. Mizzou - Shawn Ryan says the show wraps up the season nicely, if that matters.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Decent show. I believe the limbo status kept the show from being really good. Compared to other gritty procedurals of its type, the cases wrapped way too quickly and easily. Character development was decent, but I agree with Yankee Fan that they were cartoonish. Good individual performances, but something was missing.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked the one I saw. The guy who played Beals' former partner is a hell of a character actor. Hopefully, he'll get another series.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I weep for Lie to Me. I loved that show.

Draft saved Draft deleted