1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Code

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 7, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Major plot flaw that "The L Word" never had Jennifer Beals get nekkid.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

She was on Craig Ferguson last night. Absolutely beautiful.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed. simply breathtaking. sharp as a tack, too.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think she's a Yale grad.

Finally watched the show. It's not Detroit 187, but it's definitely worth watching.

5. This show is losing me. Fast.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I really liked this show (though, again, it should've been pitched to cable from the outset). Its cancellation was inevitable, but it still bummed me.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I like the characters, but last night, the plot device that required Jennifer Beals to ask a favor of the corrupt alderman was just silly. Let's think this through. City budget geek tells top cop that family of cop who died protecting her won't get insurance benefits because he gave her his vest, so he wasn't wearing vest when he died.
    Yeah.
    I have to think all she had to do was call the Sun-Times, the Tribune, and a couple TV stations, or just threaten to do that. Can you imagine?
    Frankly, I can't.
    But I'm still watching.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What cancellation was inevitable?

9. beardpuller, I probably have one more episode before I give up on it, assuming the next one isn't bad. I just found my attention drifting off again and again last night. I think the main characters are interesting, and I've always liked Delroy Lindo, but I am nothing but disappointed with this show so far. It's cliche and cartoonish, which is nothing like what I'm used to from Shawn Ryan.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Maybe they will take a season off and move it to FX. Southland when it was on NBC wasn't that great (IMO), but now that its on cable, its one of the best shows around.

11. Mira

Mira Member

I've seen both Chicago Code episodes and think it's OK. Won't last. Not gritty enough. I agree it would do better on FX, where they could spice things up.

I LOVE Southland. Best show on TV, network or cable.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This show and the even worse one with Tom Selleck seem determined to "break new ground" by explaining to us that white, urban cops are often Catholic and have a tortured relationship with their church. This is almost as much of a cliche as when the movie villain turns to the hero and opines "we're not so different, you and I ..."

Southland does just keep getting better and better, doesn't it? Holy crap, it's having a good season.

Draft saved Draft deleted