1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Code

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 7, 2011.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This.

I adore "gritty" cop dramas, but I feel the same way about this I felt about "Detroit 187."

Good show. It'd be better on cable. It's not enough of a procedural to get the ratings network TV demands. It's not long for this world.

The best that can happen for this one is getting shelved by Fox but rescued by a cable channel, ala Southland. Fox could just punt it to one of its cable outfits, which'd be ideal but I doubt it'll go quite that smoothly.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Initial ratings, 9.4 million viewers. We'll see how it does in week two.

I agree: I'm partial to Chicago, and it is Shawn Ryan, but it's also Fox. This might have been better on FX. Still, that first number looks good.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I liked it. I am partial to Chicago. Had a lot of on-site shots, which was cool.

Seemed like some interesting characters/relationships and a real feeling of danger.

Willing to watch again.

Not sure what all this "better on cable" stuff means.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read something in EW where they said the only reason they were able to film in Chicago was because of the tax benefits that Blago had out there.

Kinda funny...

5. Mira

Mira Member

I thought Chicago Code was pretty good. I spend a ton of time in Chicago, so I loved all the architecture and scenery. Acting is good but it seems like the type show that if you don't watch every week, you won't be up to speed with the plotlines.

This season, though, I'm really digging Southland on TNT. Every episode has at least one storyline with edge-of-seat suspense. And the scenes with the cops out on the beat are tremendous.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Jason Clarke. He was in Brotherhood. And he's actually Australian. (And what is it with all these Aussies doing "American" roles? The reverse is never true - and for good reason, I'm sure.)

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Ah, "Brotherhood." I live down the street from the fictional "The Hill."
    The two Jasons (Clarke and Isaacs) were amazing. An Aussie and a British Jew playing two Irish-American Catholic brothers working the margins of the law in different worlds.

8. Yup. The Alderman is played by Delroy Lindo.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

just watched. i'm in. very good pilot. probably too good/racy for network tv, but fx or tnt or whoever might pounce if it's short-lived on fox.

good to see 'luke' from 'friday night lights' land on his feet. no becky, though.

10. Very good debut, but I wonder how much better it would have been if it was on FX. There's only so much you can push on regular TV; it would have been a solid counterpunch on Monday nights against Raw and a better alternate than another viewing of Cloverfield or Hancock.

And yes....Jennifer Beals' fastball still brings heat at 47.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Watched it last night. Decent. Not great. But good enough that I'll watch it again for sure.

I pray this gets shifted to FX.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Every time I think of "Flashdance," I think of the scene in "The Full Monty," where the guys steal a VHS copy of "Flashdance" hoping to learn some hot dance moves, but instead sit around complaining about how she mixed the oxygen and acetylene on her cutting torch all wrong.

"Just a steel town girl on a Saturday night/looking for the fight of her life ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted