1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chicago Best Buy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Starman, as a simple point of fact, that is not correct. Sales have not tapered down since the inclusion of the sponsor. In fact, sales could never be higher.

I will also throw out there that my team, Glasgow Rangers, sells a version of their jersey without the sponsor. It is a plain blue front devoid of anything. I'll let you know that this jersey does not sell as well as the one with the sponsor (maybe this is due to the sponsored jersey being used on the pitch).

When the Yankees were in Japan, the logo was on the sleeves, helmets and baseball caps. It wasn't in a small location.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You also miss that they changed their badge a few years ago.

In the past "Manchester United" ran over the top and "Football Club" ran on the bottom.

Now that, there were major complaints about, since fans thought it was an indication that Manchester United was becoming a media behemouth with its own TV station etc., instead of just a football club.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

AIG, not ING, for Sir Alex's crew. Unless I spent $70 on a really bad counterfit XXL this December.

In any sporting event that AIG sponsors, they reference their sponsorship of the Red Devils.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Perfectly suitable for a jersey front.

[​IMG]

Or, going retro:

[​IMG]

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, because club crests have always been traditionally small, either centralized, or to the left or right, on the upper part of the jersey. like the Yankees logo.

Why would anyone want to turn traditional soccer jerseys into hockey sweaters?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hell, I bought a Norwich City jersey solely because of the sponsor on the front. Their old away jersey had "Lotus Cars" on the front, with a big Lotus logo.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Mea culpa. Seen one three-letter broker, seen 'em all.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Starman, national team jerseys do not contain sponsors. They also do not have large logos on the front. They have the player's number. This is how things were prior to the sponsor on the front.

I'm not saying that it looks all that great, but that place was never the spot of the team's logo.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Reminds me of the local TV guy who railed against the local MLS team because they sold their best player to a club overseas.

"It doesn't say much about the league when they have to sell their best players..." or something like that.

Uh, dummy, that's what every club in every league in the world -- save for two or three -- does in order to raise money.

Sports writers/columnists seem to always forget a simple rule when it comes to soccer: If you don't know what you're talking about, STFU.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How soon til this doucherocket becomes the new "I'd Hit It" guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted