1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cheapest, most nutritious and most bountiful food in human history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 28, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's an oldie but here's how they make Chicken McNuggets. Yum. Yum.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I can't think of a place in Canada where you could feed a family of four for under ten.

You could, however, make a nutritional meal for a family of four for under $10.00.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You can eat healthy at McDonalds if your order right. Specially breakfast.

Nothing wrong with their oatmeal and now they have added Egg Whites.

For lunch or dinner burger sans bun and a side salad makes for a healthy
    fast food menu. The grilled chicken is not bad either.

Obviously not what you can get at home and might be a tad more sodium but
    still fast, healthy and cheap.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, the rest of your lifestyle is huge. Between the ages of 16 and 20, when I was a high school and college athlete also doing manual labor on a farm, I ate four or five meals a day and usually at least one of them was fast food. But I was burning a crazy number of calories and was about 2 percent body fat back then.

These days I eat two meals a day, only occasionally eat fast food and I'm a tub of lard.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Chop House Cheddar Burger at Whataburger = 1,169 calories.

McD's is far from the lone offender. They just get kicked in the nads harder for being on damn near every street corner in the world.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get doing it for convenience, but we go out of our way not to do it unless we're traveling and even then we try to avoid it...

We go out of our way to make things in advance so we don't have to resort to fast food. We have friends who are in the same activities as our kids and it's rare when we see them during the week that they don't have a McDonald's bag in their hands...

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's all what you order. Subway is no prize either but they have done
    a good job marketing themselves.

Off my list though now. Went into one a few months back fairly late.
    No one behind counter and I look and see employee scrubbing the men's
    room head. He does a quick wash of his hands and comes out and asks
    me what I want. I just said I'm sorry but I just lost my appetite and left.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't eat beans. I break out in a rash if I eat beans.

[​IMG]

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My grocery store will sell me a pack of stir-fry vegetables, a pack of noodles and a pack of sauce for £3. Depending on who your four are, you might need two, so make it £6 (or just buy a loose pepper and some mushrooms). That leaves £4 left over to add a protein source, be it chicken, tofu, even salmon if you were feeling inspired. Takes me about 10 minutes to make, and it makes two meals for me, three if I have a smaller dinner and divide the leftovers into two lunches. So that's two or three meals for £3 plus half a pack of tofu, or £1.

And shit costs more here. I'd imagine you can get something similar even cheaper in the States.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People who go to McDonald's in an attempt to be frugal are doing it very, very wrong.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From McDonald's website. The ingredients in their various things with egg whites (taking out the buns and the various meat products -- all processed beyond anything I would thing possible if I didn't already know better -- to make it as addictive as possible and give it shelf life beyond real food, which spoils):

Egg whites, prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono-and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

If you think that is healthy for you, relative to a whole food breakfast of some sort, you are deluding yourself.

They even manage to fuck up the oatmeal. What is easier than plain old fashioned oats cooked in water? Their oatmeal -- using the one without the sugar loaded into it -- also includes Modified Food Starch, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Barley Malt Extract, Caramel Color, Salt.

By the way, whenever you see "natural flavor," it means they treated and processed something to create a Frankenstein that then gets added to foods to make them taste differently. McDonalds does it to create food addictions the way people get addicted to opium.

There is nothing healthy about McDonalds. It might be relatively cheap, as the original link suggested, compared to some other common crap people eat, but it doesn't even qualify as food. It is a menu filled with highly processed ingredients that have been turned into food-like substances.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Words mean what they mean. You don't get to change their definitions to make your points have more emotional resonance. It is food.

Draft saved Draft deleted