1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cheapest, most nutritious and most bountiful food in human history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 28, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When the world stops drinking beer, then the world can stop lecturing about the evils of a handful of chicken nuggets.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Our obese population needs a bit of educating it seems to me.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or from produce that you bought in your corner store. You're telling me it's a better option to buy three salads full of processed fat and salt for $12 from Wendy's than it is to buy a bag of lettuce, a couple of tomatoes, a cucumber and a carrot? Or failing that, to just buy a bag of damn salad? The idea that somehow people don't have time to open a bag and put the contents thereof in a bowl is pretty ridiculous. And if you don't have 10 spare minutes once in three days to grill and cut up a chicken breast, you're doing something wrong. (Or more likely you're just lazy.)

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I can't find this offhand, but I seem to remember someone else replicating Spurlock's 30-day McDonald's diet, except without drinking pop. Apparently that guy didn't have nearly the weight gain and health issues Spurlock did.

I don't think it was this guy, who trained for a marathon while eating nothing but McDonald's (subbing water for pop). Of course, if you run 100 miles a week, you're probably going to keep the weight off.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/11/can-it-be-done-mcrunner-trains-for-marathon-on-all-mcdonalds-diet/

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bingo. You nailed it honcho. I won't do what you think I should do because I'm lazy. Yup. Got me.
    New plan -- save time AND money, cut out the middleman, go in the back yard and graze. Now THAT is healthy and organic!
    Oh, BTW... I don't use dressing at all so you can cut the alarmist bullshit about salt and processed fat.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No need to get defensive about liking fast food. Lots of people do. It tastes good. It's just that there are far more nutritious choices.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

On salads: I tried this salad that Albert Burnenko, the Foodspin guy on Deadspin, recommended, and it was fucking delicious. I actually eat a variant of it every day at work now. (Bag salad, cherry tomatoes, almonds, carrots, raspberry vinaigrette, gorgonzola).

http://deadspin.com/how-to-make-a-salad-that-doesnt-suck-a-guide-for-the-5943632

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Threads about fast food turn into such judgmental contests.

Man, if you like fast food, you aren't thinking about the number of calories you're downing on each bite.

If you want to dance on our graves when it puts us under, be my guest. But I'm enjoying what I enjoy.

I think I'm going to go have a Taco Bell smothered burrito in JR's honor. :)

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. By no means am I advocating McDonald's cuisine, but that Spurlock documentary was manipulative bullshit. He went out of his way to order the most calorie loaded and unhealthy items on their menu for most meals, three times a day. In short, intentionally tried to make himself get fat and sick to make his documentary work.

The average person who eats McDonald's every day wouldn't see anything like that dramatic degree of effects unless, like Spurlock, that is the intentional goal of the thing.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Congrats. You still spend $4 for 65 cents worth of lettuce and chicken. Merely pointing out that arguing that making your own food is costlier and more time-consuming than eating fast food is utterly without factual support.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I avoid fast food like the plague, but there is something to be said for a place where you can feed a family of four for under $10. It does come in handy when you're on the road.

I know people who eat at McDonald's on most nights for that exact reason.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As someone said earlier, education is the answer. Or is it?

You might think that customers buying their lunch at McDonald’s would order meals with fewer calories if someone handed them a slip of paper reminding them that women should eat no more than 650 calories at lunchtime and men should not exceed 800 calories. But you would be wrong.

Instead, researchers found that diners who received these supposedly helpful reminders actually purchased more calories than those who didn’t, according to a new study in the American Journal of Public Health.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-calorie-guidelines-menu-labeling-backfires-20130718,0,2659556.story

Sorry if already posted. Even if it was, it's not out of place on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted