1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cheap Beer thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Flash

Flash Active Member

Mmhmm. It's lovely.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sure. Actually parts are ok

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gods, all of 'em. All of those beers are still available in Ontario - not in stubbies, unfortunately - except Golden and O'Keefe. I drank a lot of Canadian at one time but can't stand it now and switched to Blue. I stopped drinking that a few years ago and while 50 is my go to although I will change it up on occasion and get Ex or OV.

Tighthead likes this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

In the 80s they weren’t really considered cheap beer. Just beer.

In those days at Brewers’ Retail, there wasn’t much price variance. Brador and Classic were a little bit more, but everything else was roughly the same.

Huggy likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I noted earlier in the thread, there is no such thing as cheap beer in Ontario, less expensive maybe, but not cheap, but you're right, the prices are all still roughly the same at the beer store. 50 is more expensive than Ex, for instance, but not by that much. And you're right: that was pretty much all we had to choose from in those days. Everyone had a dad who drank at least one of those religiously.

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Now some of the stuff is a little cheaper, $2.00 for a tall boy can. I do remember when I was in high school the LCBO started selling Lone Star and a couple of others for cheaper than domestic beer. Maybe $3 less on a 2-4, and that was fine for us.

The brand loyalty of our dads was amazing. A man had his beer and that was it, and if you went to his house you expected to be served his beer.

Huggy likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Your mention of the LCBO selling beer reminded me how excited we were (especially during the beer strike of 1985) to get such exotic brands as Lone Star, Genessee, Amstel and others the beer store didn't carry.

I don't think the major breweries thought their customers' loyalty would ever change until Lakeport in Ontario starting selling its beer for $24 a case ("Make 'er a Laker, it's a buck a beer!") and people flocked to buy it causing the major breweries to lobby the government to institute a minimum price for selling beer and it sure as hell wasn't going to be a buck a beer.

Tighthead likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love this time of year. You can find Winter seasonals for clearance prices lower than Guinness.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Now this is my kind of thread.

The only thing I loved more than beer was cheap beer.

Liut and Tighthead like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't know we had an SJ.com member in Bonners Ferry, Idaho ... ;)

Just kidding ... welcome back.

Flash likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I'm going to mix it with tomato, orange, or grapefruit juice, then I'll get the cheapest I can find.

We do a summer brew every year......
    4 cans beer (used Natty last time)
    12 ounce can of frozen lemonade
    Fill the can with vodka

Dump it all into a big pitcher.
    Stir well.

Pass out as needed.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Skip & Go Naked. We'd mix those in styrofoam coolers and then take out the pontoon boat on the lakes in Minnesota.

Draft saved Draft deleted