1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cheap Beer thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to think Strong's was the worst beer I had ever had until I was in a dive in New York last summer and they had big cans of PBR on special. Managed to choke one back. I wouldn't wash the car with that shit

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Genesee Cream Ale on tap was a go-to at a local I frequented in a previous stop, though I think I enjoyed the free popcorn and cheap pickled eggs more than the actual drinking. Grain Belt is decent, but I strongly recommend their Nordeast if you're ever in Minnesota. That said, my first-choice cheap beer is Molson Canadian.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest, Hamms, Olympia and Rainier were in the rotation when shitty beer was all I could afford.

Hamms, the beer refreshing, Hamms

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

At a sports bar for the first time in years and the domestics menu lists locations of beers. Was shocked to see PBR listed as being from Los Angeles.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I denounce this.
    Local Applebee's here has PBR on tap.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

ICOMs - ice cold Old Milwaukees in a bottle.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Father in law has been an OM Light drinker for as long as I can remember.
    2 things have to happen for me to drink that.
    1. ICE COLD doesn't quite describe what it needs to be. It better be just on the north side of frozen. We were golfing one time, and he had it in a cooler, but forgot to pack it full of ice, so it was not quite cool. NEVER AGAIN.
    2. You're all out of other beer.

swingline likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have a Utica Club trolly car Christmas ornament. When I hang it on our tree every year it brings back memories of my misbegotten youth and of Braves/Sabres/Canisius games at the old Memorial Auditorium, where UC was the designated beer on tap and nobody carded you so you could drink as a high school junior and senior, in the good old days when the drinking age in NYS was 18.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Shoutout to Storm Brew, which R&D Brewing sells for five bucks at Carolina Hurricanes games. You've got to work to find the tables, and it's cash only, but a 16-oz can of cold swill for five bones at an NHL game? Was pleased with the purchase.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I saw a six-pack of Olympia in the store the other day. It's now contract brewed by Miller-Coors in Irwindale.

Draft saved Draft deleted