1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chase, 20th anniversary (running thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Love how Jenks passed himself off as Newsweek's Paris bureau chief.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was visiting my mom and dad the day of, and watched a World Cup game that afternoon before I headed back to college town (a 2-hour drive). Everything happened fast.

The arrest warrant announcement broke on the radio at the start of the drive, and by the time I was near the end of the drive, the Bronco had already been spotted. I walked in and my roommate was watching the NBA finals — probably the only channel that hadn't broken in yet early — and said "Dude, you're missing this shit." He was totally clueless.

NBC tried to ignore the car chase for the longest and finally couldn't.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was having lunch at a bar when the LAPD press conference came on and they announced they were "actively seeking Mr. Simpson."

That night I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner and we were getting updates on the chase from the guys in the kitchen.

A buddy of mine was in living in LA at the time and was on the freeway in front the chase for a little bit on his way home from somewhere.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That was such a terrible year: the Harding-Kerrigan ordeal, OJ, baseball strike that wiped out the World Series, all sorts of personal grief.

On the night of the chase, I was broadcasting a baseball game on radio. Like thousands (millions?) of others, I uttered the phrase "Looks like the Juice is on the loose."

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was covering a Micky Ward fight when it happened.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We are marking a lot of 20th anniversaries of some big events this year, that is for sure. Also a lot of 25th anniversaries: We forget how newsy 1989 was too.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Where? And against whom?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Lowell Mass tko over Luis Castillo, not the former 2b.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Right.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And, of course, 1984 might have been the greatest of all from a sports standpoint.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

OJ 30 for 30 is starting now.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't know the game show was that old. Labbert has aged well

Draft saved Draft deleted