1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chase, 20th anniversary (running thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 4, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Listening to Howard, I forgot what a liar he was.

1. "I haven't seen this ABC call yet"
    2. "The guy on the phone talks like Steppenfetchit".

But he and Robin are so right on, that the onus is on the networks to vet people calling in. They've barely learned the lesson in 20 years.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Al Michaels was on Bill Simmons' podcast last year, and they were talking about how Michaels has had some sort of hand in so many different major sporting events. One of them was the O.J. chase. He was called in as ABC's O.J. expert because he was O.J's neighbor and tennis partner. Weird.

As for my personal recollection, I really don't have one. I was getting ready to graduate high school the next week, and I think on June 17 (a Friday) I was working in a place with no TVs. Might have heard O.J. was on the run from people at work who had heard the news, but I didn't get home until probably 2 or 3 a.m. I'm not even sure it registered that night.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Was watching the Knicks-Rockets at my gf's house. Was a casual Knicks fan, but my gf's mother was a big converted Knicks fan (after growing up in Framingham, Mass.) I remember at first we were a bit surprised, but after a few sentences I thought it has to be a prank. When Al Michaels called in I told her how people would prank news outlets and Stern would play the calls. My gf hated Stern but was forced to listen when I drove. Her mom heard of him but never listened.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The aforementioned 30 for 30 airs in about 15 minutes on ESPN2.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was in a hotel room in Dallas, getting ready to leave for the World Cup game between Spain and South Korea.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I had just graduated high school a week earlier, so I was too drunk to remember what I was doing or where I was.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

At a friend's house watching the NBA Finals.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's gotten much, much worse since then.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This isn't the one I heard, but here is another Stern prank call from Diana's death. The one I heard was supposedly from a guy from New Jersey on his honeymoon in Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpY1XzeXdUY

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was sitting at the hotel bar in Pittsburgh waiting for a colleague to come down for dinner. We'd both just finished off our second-round stories at the U.S. Open at Oakmont.

The media hotel we were in was called "Al Monzo's Palace Inn." It closed in 2004. It was not above 2 1/2 stars, nor was it a Palace.

11. poindexter

Jenks: The car was going over 90 miles an hour so she could get to a video store to rent Howard Stern's Private Parts before it closes.

Brian Williams: Who is reporting that?

Good god, these news organizations and talking heads are DUMB.

12. poindexter

Peter Jennings, this time during JFK Jr plane crash:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytn3AXMAK8

Jennings keeps talking about how it doesn't surprise him anymore.

Gee, if there were only some way to fix this.

Draft saved Draft deleted