1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Chase, 20th anniversary (running thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In the next few weeks, we'll be hearing a lot of the O.J. Simpson chase, which happened on June 17, 1994. Personally, I was watching the NBA finals between the Rockets and Knicks when the local affiliate broke in. I know ESPN did a 30 for 30 on the subject, which was really well done. I would recommend it.

Figured this thread could serve as a "Where were you when you watched it?" and all the stories on the 20th anniversary. For better or worse, it's a moment that, in a way, changed the face of how people viewed the news.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Link to the ESPN doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4A1ayt3Jwc

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was covering a high school football all-star game. Got home in time to hear Captain Jenks slip through the ABC screeners...

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And I first thought this was about the Charlie Sheen-Kristy Swanson movie.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Possibly one of the best pranks ever.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

And Baby Booey to you all...

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Al Michaels calling to say it was a prank was also great. You could just picture Peter Jennings' face.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was at a restaurant with friends. It was a normally a pretty loud burger and beer joint. But once the coverage of the chase started, it was silent. Just whispers.

We finished and walked down a block to our local. Same thing there. Jukebox was off. Volume on all the TVs on the chase were up. Everybody watching and shaking their heads between beers.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We've gone through this a million times, but that wasn't Captain Jenks.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Thought Jenks had taken credit for it.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I was working my once-a-month Friday night shift at the Daily Journal in Franklin, Ind. I had just come back from my rounds picking up, naturally, the police reports when the Bronco was rolling across the fuzzy color TV in the office.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I see O.J and he looks real scared.....

Draft saved Draft deleted