1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Charlotte Observer subscription - sunset

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Duespayer, Jun 8, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No way they could top his ESPN money. Plus, would you leave the relative ease of ESPN for the daily grind in Charlotte?

Utter more or less inherited the gig, though he never wanted to do as much as Poole. I think Brant James, formerly of St. Pete, also works for them in a correspondent's role.

2. Yeah I've seen newspapers win 10 or 11 AP awards, for example, and they are very disliked in their communities. While they write some good stories, they drop the ball often on the day-to-day stuff. I put more emphasis on consistency of a product and, unfortunately, that is hard to judge.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm sure getting Hinton away from ESPN wouldn't be easy, but for Charlotte, the NASCAR beat has to be the foundation of your coverage. Do whatever it takes to have somebody that knows what they're doing.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How much bigger is Atlanta than Charlotte? It gets five-page sports sections with some regularity now as well. And they're five narrow-as-hell pages, too.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Atlanta -- 537,458 in 2008
    Charlotte -- 687,456 in 2008

Atlanta's metro area is larger than Charlotte's, yes, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything going on in both of those cities. Someone's got those papers on a strict newsprint diet, and it's hurting the overall product.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Circulations:

Charlotte: 166,546 daily, 226,030 Sunday.
    Atlanta: 196,200 daily, 397,926 Sunday

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted