1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Charlotte Observer subscription - sunset

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Duespayer, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Duespayer

Duespayer New Member

Attempted to read my "new" hometown paper for a "trial" three months.
    Sad. I did not get my $25 worth.
    The renewal letter which arrived yesterday was a stamp wasted.
    After overlooking broken boxes (daily and repeated per column), seeing the same action shot of a prep shortstop 3 times (twice in three days), reading today's teaser proclaiming the Celtics attempting to "lock" up the series (are they not three wins away?) ... little things, but many things ...
    Today's Observer was five pages. I understand the section is understaffed, but, honestly, during the three months, there was not many interesting reads.
    Always thought I would subscribe to a metro until the final paper is delivered.
    Guess, I just can not handle the broken boxes.

2. apseloser

apseloser Member

There really might not be a worse daily sports section in America. It's beyond poorly planned and executed.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Five pages is unacceptable for a city that size. You can't tell me there's nothing to do in North Carolina sports-wise? Like the bird squealed, cheap.

4. apseloser

apseloser Member

If there was a 25-inch French Open follow on the wire, they would have found a spot for it on the cover. That's how bad the news judgment is.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's really a terrible section. I'm not in Charlotte, but I have to subscribe for work and I am shocked at how bad it is. A few months back, there were big, blank blocks scattered around the section. Rick Bonnell has had like 2 stories in the paper in the past 3 weeks and if you take out the NASCAR coverage, you're left with like 2 pages, if that.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Did The Observer ever hire someone to replace David Poole? Obviously some big shoes to fill, but with the number of top NASCAR beat writers laid off the last couple of years it seems like a paper in Charlotte should be able to get a big name.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They didn't. Interviewed a bunch of the big names on the beat but never made a full-time hire, as I understand it.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't understand the thinking here. Once one of the up and coming jewels in the business. Charlotte and Atlanta mirror each other in ineptness.

9. apseloser

apseloser Member

You could combine those 2 sections most days these days, ATL and CHA, and they still don't crack APSE honorable mention in any category over 100K.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Awards are subjective. They mean little to me. I'm more into the daily product, not what is submitted for a contest. The overall product of both is wretched.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I thought Jim Utter took over the NASCAR lead.

The day Poole died, Charlotte should have bent over backwards to pry Hinton out of whatever deal he has with ESPN.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I see Utter's byline often on the MCT wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted