1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Center for Science in the Public Interest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

There's once-in-a-while indulgence and then there's gluttony. There's awareness and then there's overzealousness ... And F_B has a point that this report is information, not patronization. However, I don't know of many people who make it a daily habit of intaking nearly 7,000 calories on three so-called squares.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, because that isn't the reasoning behind banning smoking in public places. That is done because second-hand smoke is dangerous to the people around the smokers. Other than occasionally being a bit grossed out, being around somebody as they eat isn't inherently dangerous.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Maybe because it's close to lunch time for me. But every single one of those dishes look good right now and made my stomach grumble.

Who wants to split an UNO's pizza skins with me?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Whether it's bad for me or not, I'm not going to cut out my weekly Saturday breakfast with my little man. For him, two sausage and cheese kolaches and some chocolate milk. For me, two chocolate-filled donuts, some Doritos and a big glass of milk.

If that once-a-week meal is going to kill me, at least I got to spend time with my son while doing it.

5. The Little Man eats a lot better than you do, Commodore.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Not even close to the same thing. As has been pointed out, smoking in public places has health consquences for others. What you eat affects you and you alone.

As for comparing this report to smoking studies from the past, remember that tobacco companies even marketed smoking as being good for you at some points. They had "scientists" at the Tobacco Institute claiming smoking wasn't so bad. I must have missed the "Ice Cream Institute" doing a big paper on how 14 ounces in a choclate waffle cone bowl with five toppings actually cures cancer. For the last time, who has ever marketed any of this as being good for you?

I really am puzzled how being annoyed at being told the obvious yet again by "food police" means "some growing up is in order", FB, but there's no point in going back and forth about this any longer. Just happened to irritate me, so I started a thread.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Rufino, day after day anti-smoking ads are on television. Every single cigarette pack purchased has a warning on it telling you the dangers of smoking. At what point does it become "stating the obvious?"

While I agree that much of this list is very obvious to you and I, it isn't so to others. That is why it is out there. If it isn't put out there, there are definitely some people that might contend that ice-cream is a dairy product and therefore not nearly as bad for you as other desserts.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It should be noted, though, that he invariably asks to eat macaroni and cheese for EVERY single meal. I don't accomodate him, of course, but when we do have it, I make a family-sized box, add some chicken nuggets and we go to town while watching old Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Very healthy.

9. One thing having children has taught me --
    Macaroni and cheese does not necessarily taste like toad flesh.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow...I'd never marry you if you don't have a high opinion of mac and cheese. Never!

That's comfort food for me.

11. Damn, now I have to send back all the shower presents.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And find someone else who can stand the way you always leave socks in the kitchen and the way you're always inviting over radical environmentalists to sip chardonnay and eat brie.

Draft saved Draft deleted