1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Center for Science in the Public Interest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Better known as the "food police", these guys released their list of "X-treme Eating" items today. These people have way too much time on their hands, it would appear. A 14 ounce ice cream in a chocolate waffle cone bowl with five toppings is bad for me? Really?

http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100156601&GT1=9033

Of course no one should eat this stuff often, and some of it probably never, but when will these self righteous jerks get it through their heads that sometimes people are just in the mood to eat, drink or smoke too much?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I like cookies!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but why are you offended by this? Accusing them of being self righteous is flat-out ignorant.

The percentage of overweight and obese North Americans is frightening because of shit like this.

They don't have "too much time on their hands". They're performing an educational role normally handled by city, state/provincial and federal governments.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

You needed to be educated ice cream is bad for you?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those guys rule. They are pointing out the obvious. And there is nothing self-rightous about it. It's kind of like someone explaining to a child not to run into traffic. Does that make the person an asshole?

People don't pay attention to lists like that, as evidenced by the fact that those monstrosities are on menus and people are ordering them. No one should ever eat anything I just saw on that list. Jeez. 2,060 calories, 128 grams of fat, including 60 to 70 grams of saturated fat? That's so obscene it isn't even good for a laugh. Is it any wonder health care spending as a percentage of GDP has gone through the roof?

Sometimes people are in the mood to eat, drink and smoke too much (honestly, any smoking is too much), but that doesn't make it smart behavior. And pointing it out doesn't make you self righteous, just someone pointing out the truth.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

This is quite ludicrous, and the fact JR defends it makes it all the more so.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No, it's like someone explaining to me not to run into traffic. And being patronized like that would make me feel the person doing so was an asshole.

8. The Big Ragu

You might want to ponder the word "patronizing." It suggests unwarranted condescension. As in a boss who doesn't give an employee enough credit for his or her knowledge and ability.

People are eating those disgusting meals. They are on chain restaurant menus because people order them. And many Americans are fat beyond healthy levels, because they eat like that.

A list like that isn't "patronizing." It's yelling the truth into the wind. People don't want to hear it. So any condescension you are reading into it certainly isn't unwarranted.

You're the one who suggested that overeating, drinking to excess and smoking are OK behaviors. That suggests to me that you weren't patronized. You were, however, defensive. Perhaps it's because someone pointed out a truth you prefer to ignore.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Or, seeing as I don't drink, smoke, or overeat and work out five times a week, perhaps I just find an organization stating the obvious annoying. Thanks for insinuating I'm a big slob, though.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That's not a bit self-righteous.

11. The Big Ragu

I didn't meant to insinuate anything. I used the words "perhaps." You just set me straight. And you could do Lance Armstrong workouts seven days a week and eat a low fat, high-fiber, vegan diet. It still doesn't mean that others who do unhealthy things are making smart decisions. That list would be patronizing if obesity, diabetes and heart disease weren't at epidemic levels. Given that those things are true, I see a list like that as more of a public-service announcement.

12. The Big Ragu

Yup. It's self-righteous. And eating like that is STILL unhealthy and the cause of an obesity epidemic in America. Sorry I refuse to say that the Emperor is wearing clothes, even if I am self-righteous about the way I point out that he's a naked fool.

Draft saved Draft deleted