1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Catholic Church, as usual, doesn't seem to have enough to worry about

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Technically, yes. But if you do put it in, get ready for all the fundamentalists to call in and write because you dared to question the story's legitimacy.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There are Catholic fundamentalists?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was referring to fundamentalists of all Christian faiths who would be offended at the inference that the Bible is anything but the Word of God, not to be questioned or doubted under any circumstances.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gotcha. Too bad half of those idiots don't even believe Catholics are Christians.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gosh, yes.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just never heard that particular phrase used about Catholic whackos. Almost always hear the word "fundamentalist" about those that JJ mentioned -- and the ones I mentioned, who don't even think Catholics are Christian.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I can't remember if it was pizza magnate Ilitch or pizza magnate Monaghan who owned the Tigers, but Monaghan was a devout Catholic. Can't remember if Ilitch is RC or not.

(Looked it up. Answer to first question is Ilitch. Don't have answer yet on query two.)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A rarer breed of cat than the common perception of the Protestant fundie, but yes, there are a lot of hardline Catholics. Pat Buchanan and Rick Santorum are a couple of notorious examples.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ilitch bought the Tigers from Monaghan, and I believe his religion is Eastern Orthodox.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Is that the fix you were looking for? :D

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So by your logic, cops have no business handing out speeding tickets because a bunch of disgraceful thug cops wrongly beat the shit out of Rodney King?

12. That's an incredibly offensive statement.

You basically just suggested that the pastors who are concerned are molesters, simply because their Catholic priests.

You didn't complain about the cover-up or the problems. You simply assumed guilt by professional association. And that's from someone I assume is a journalist.

I can't begin to describe how angry that makes me.

Draft saved Draft deleted