1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Case for HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by black dude with pompano, Jan 30, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Kind of. Depends on the injury.
    Steroids are prescribed all the time. My first daughter, a preemie, was given several rounds of steroids for lung development.
    The difference? The steroids taken by athletes are anabolic.  The performance enhancing kind. The class of steroid hormones related to the testosterone. They increase protein within cells, which results in the buildup of tissue, especially in muscles.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the NFL cares more about the advantage that HGH gives than it does about the side effects.

I've read a lot of studies that have said that there isn't much proof that HGH does anywhere close to the damage that steroids do...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the problem with HGH. There just isn't enough data yet on the long-term effects. I have no problem with the NFL banning a substance when the medical profession is still investigating what it will do to the human body long term.

Somebody brought up treatment of the elderly with HGH. Doesn't it make sense that doctors might be willing to use a treatment with "older folks" than they would a healthy man in his 20s or 30s?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not really approved to ameliorate the effects of aging. It's primary use is to treat kids who are deficient in growth hormone.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Understood. My point was more that the effective use of the drug for one type of person does not always mean it is appropriate for another.

Draft saved Draft deleted