1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The case for Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bruhman, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GFav44

GFav44 Member

None of what Florida did proves their a better team too.

2. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

you're right. the funniest thing about that was the one player celebrating prematurely, not knowing the other team was in the process of scoring the game-winning touchdown.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We're getting a 2001-esque series of screwy results that could leave us a screwy title game. Ohio State vs. Michigan, like that year's Miami-Nebraska a matchup of one dominant team and one second-place team.

The case for Florida:

They won their conference, well-regarded as possbly the best in the country. That's enough for me.

And if they DON'T make it, we'll hear bitching from Urban Meyer akin to Mack Brown pissing and moaning two years ago that the Longhorns should get a BCS berth over Cal. Which of course caused Big XII coaches to leave the Golden bears off their ballots in a disgusting case of ballot-stuffing, thus causing seismic changes in the BCS formula.

But I'm not bitter.

So okay, my reasoning is A. They won their conference, and the title game should match two conference champs, period. B. Lloyd Carr will moan less than Meyer if his team doesn't make it. Michigan fans, of course, are another story.

But it amuses me to hear the so-called Victors whining with no recourse.

There is an 11-1 team that won its conference available for the title game. That team also managed to beat quite a few ranked teams this year, with its loss against a ranked team.

It should be Florida.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

True. But Florida hasn't lost against Ohio State. Michigan has.

Next!

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK. Here's what we need:

Michigan and Florida TIE for 2nd in the BCS standings.

Who's with me?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Screw it. Have Michigan play Florida in the Sugar Bowl and the winner moves on to play Ohio State. They'll have almost a week to prepare. That's enough.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

College football sucks. Is it Sunday yet?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There is utterly no conclusive way to tell at this moment whether Michigan or Florida is better. Utterly none. Comparing a lower-level SEC team's visit to the Big House with a lower-level SEC team who always plays a particular top-level SEC team tough at home doesn't pass muster as a litmus test; it's apples and oranges.

We do know that Michigan lost in its shot against Ohio State. I think Florida deserves next. It's the only way to resolve all doubts.

9. GFav44

GFav44 Member

Lets think about people...lets say Michigan had a game versusa good D1-A team. They beat this team 44-7 and the 7 was a last second TD that meant nothing. Michigan dominated this team from top to bottom. Would people say that Michigan deserves another shot because they dominated their opponent? Lets be straight people, the only reason USC jumped Michigan and maybe Florida jump Michigan is because they are playing and Michigan isnt. Why penalize a team because they arent playing in favor of a team who is?

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Oh my god, that would be hilarious.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I bring up Ball State all the time. For the life of me, I don't ever remember referencing that game. Comparative scores aren't a good measure.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because it changes the body of work, gfav. If the Big Ten wants to bitch, tell it to redouble its efforts to lure Notre Dame or Missouri so it can have a title game too. Or tell Michigan to schedule a 13th game at Hawaii.

Draft saved Draft deleted