1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The case against summer vacation'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Class warfare"?

C'mon.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

::)

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We have one elementary school that went year round about 8-10 years ago. The system just announced it was being discontinued because there was no real value as opposed to the traditional calendar.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I stated that someone who retired in 2009 with a salary of $77,000 is not "vastly underpaid."

The difference between "you are not vastly underpaid" and "you are making a hell of a lot of money" is, well, Grand Canyon-sized.

What's amusing is that I've been in this business 27 years. I make just a little less than the teacher above. But if I came on here and whined about being vastly underpaid, I would be told --- and rightfully so --- to count my blessings and STFU.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And somebody always has to make it about politics instead of actually discussing the issue. Never mind that I and others have already pointed out that year-round schooling could create as many child-care issues as it solves. For the most part, every year-round schooling plan has children in school for the same amount of days total, just broken down differently. If Boom was actually interested in thinking rather than ranting against anybody whose politics he disagrees with, he'd have known that.

As much as I disagree with the idea, it is worth discussing. Actually, I strongly disagree with pretty much every idea President Obama has brought up regarding education, but at least he is bringing about some discussion. We should be exploring ways to improve education in this country.

That, and the statement about the current adminstration causing class warfare is one of the more ignorant things I've heard in a while. Those issues have existed for a long time.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and what you do is probably a hell of lot less important than what a teacher does.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't see how a year-round calendar will change much. Good teachers will still be good. Shitty teachers will still be shitty. A low-performing school will still be a low performing school.

The only thing that would change would be the kids would have even less time to be... well, kids.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that for the 2 months a kid stands around the street corner during the summer their brain disengages.

Once again too many looking for a government solution instead of a parental one.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Welp, my brother works at a school where all the kids live on farms. I wonder where you draw the line.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I don't think the argument is whether kids should be in school for more total days. The question is how those days should be arranged. Should the 10 weeks of vacation be all in the summer, or sprinkled throughout the year?

I'm skeptical about the idea that kids really regress that much over 10 weeks off, as opposed to three weeks off, but I concede that I'm not an educator so I really don't know.

All I know is I sure would like to be able to take my kids on a vacation in November without having to pull them out of school.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And when they start teaching at 23, work 30, retire at 53 with about 80 percent of their pay, picking up that $35,000 job at 54 just turned into a $95,000 a year job when you add in their school retirement.

It pays over time to stay in the public sector.

Draft saved Draft deleted