1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The car question: Honda Accord? Nissan Altima? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, May 3, 2013.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That still doesn't stop a good portion of that purchase price from going outside the country.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Amen. A 2007 car is one I'd be looking to buy, not one I'd be looking to trade in.

Bought a 1990 Lexus in 2003 --- now at 250,000+ miles and running great.

Bought a 2000 Honda in 2009 --- now at 148,000 miles and running great.

Haven't made a car payment in 12 years and never will again.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You forgot your weekly mention of how you have no mortgage either.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I will say that it sounds like you have your heart absolutely set on buying a new car -- if so, I'd go with a Honda and an Accord. However, I must preface this with saying that I drive a Corolla that is 17 years old. 200k miles. I won't say it runs great - it gets me from A to B on about 35 mpg - but I haven't had a car payment for 12 years. When I look at cars, I look for a car I have to make payments on for 4 years and then get 10 years afterwards with only repairs.

If you are a person who wants a new car every 4 to 6 years, consider buying one of the Big Three, especially a Ford. Less out of pocket and you probably will avoid any major repairs if you keep it under 100,000 miles but, again, it'll be worth less when you trade it in four years from now.

We did purchase a 2006 Accord a year ago for about 13k (with 58k miles). Very pleased with it and would be surprised if we didn't end up with 200k miles by the time we ditch it.

I still think your best bet is just fixing your current car and, perhaps, keeping a $1,000/year budget for repairs instead of $4,000 to $5,000 in car payments.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe. But it's still American workers driving supplies to the factories, American workers putting the things together, American workers serving these guys lunch and selling them clothes, delivering their babies, serving as their doctors, etc.
    "Buying a foreign car" doesn't mean the same thing it did 30 years ago. Hell, there might be more foreign brands with plants in the U.S. nowadays than there are American brands.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Don't get a limo.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Check into what exactly you need done on your car. If it is just a timing belt and maybe a cv joint that is on its last leg, fix it and run your car into the ground.

Makes so much better sense than buying new.

Only buy new if you have to. I bought new because my last car (a Buick) was on it's last leg with over 200,000 KMs on it. And for the first time in my life I was making good money and decided to splurge and bought a Jeep. I love it. Absolutely love it.

But again, as others have pointed out, if you are set on buying new, look around, don't just get set on a Honda or a Toyota. Check the other imports. But it is hard to go wrong with either a Honda or Toyota or Nissan as well.

On a side note, my folks just bought a brand new Buick Verano, had their hearts set on a Ford Fusion, despite my urging for them to look at an import, but then turned around, did some shopping and could get everything they wanted in the Fusion but at a lower price. They love the car. And it's not a bad looking vehicle either. Much sportier looking than the 1999 Century I owned.

Before my Century I owned a 1993 Mazda 323 hatchback, great little car, if only I fit in it better, but for when I was in college, it was perfect. I don't hear a lot of bad about Mazda, definitely give them a look.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My 2004 Corolla is at 157,000 miles and doing just fine. Minimal repairs in that time. I'd happily buy another, but I happier I don't need to. I love Boston, but between winter and the traffic here, new cars don't stay new for too long.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Do you drive a lot? That seems like a short life on a Honda.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I'm thinking about a Hyundai. Kias, on the other hand, are made of papier mache.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wife's on me to buy a new car. i have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with just less than 100k miles on it.
    I've put about $2,500 in repairs into it over the past two-three years, but I keep trying to point out to her - that's a lot less than we would be out if I get a new car.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get a new car. I just thing there are some better things to spend our money on right now when my truck runs fine and the repairs on it are averaging only $83.33 a month.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with these guys. Here's a list of the UAW- and CAW-built cars in case you're so inclined.

http://www.uaw.org/sites/default/files/2013vehicles.pdf

On the other hand, I drove a '13 Altima for a week or so in Miami a couple months ago and it seemed like a terrific car.

Draft saved Draft deleted