1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Car is Dead/Long Live the (Next) Car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe you just haven't met the right person yet.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, I met this low-slung ... 2017 Kia Optima ... on Saturday. Not sure about gender ... but the massage ze gave me on the ride home from the dealership was fine, fine, fine!

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Congrats; I think of Korean cars as the newest version of Japanese cars in the 70s, mocked for cheap quality (because of low price) when far superior to the competition. Here, Kias may not be far superior to the Honda/Nissan/Toyota cars but they are just as good probably and even more reliable if possible and at a better price.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I’m at 185,000 miles on my 2006 Corolla and was thinking the same thing recently. How much longer is this thing gonna last? It has had zero issues mechanically, so I guess it’s probably going to last a while longer.

But I was a slob before I was civilized by domestic life and the inside is all messed up, so I’ve been pondering getting a new car. But this sumbitch may never stop.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My 2000 Civic (225,500) finally passed my 1990 Lexus (214,210) earlier this year, but that's only because the Lexus odometer stopped working . . . 11 years ago.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've long considered the 2000 Civic to be one of the most functionally perfect sedan exterior designs of all time. I just think it looks the way a car should look.

[​IMG]

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that body shape sure has held up (aesthetically) over the years. Even among today's lower-slung cars, it looks nice.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One thing I've never done, and really want to, is drive a Honda Civic.

Just give me one day and a few hundred miles.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In one of the more odd state laws I've come across, if my Lexus can make it to 2025 it will no longer need a state safety inspection, as cars 35 years old (and older) are exempt.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

No big deal anyway. The way things are going, coal-powered cars will be here next year.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've got a 2007 Mazda 3 that I bought new a few months after I got married. It had 54 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.
    By my calculations, I will hit the 300,000 mile mark tomorrow night on my way home from work. I'm carefully plotting my route and blowing off an optional assignment so I can hit it right as I get home and pull in the driveway. I'm pretty stoked.

I did the same thing when I crested 200,000 miles. Drove a few extra miles out of the way on the ride home, and then had to take it around the neighborhood a couple of times to get there exactly. Pulled into the driveway at 299,999.9999. Went to take it around the block one more time, and as I'm backing out of the driveway it flipped.
    So I'll always be able to brag that I once drove a car over the 200,000 mile mark in reverse.

The car still runs great. The air conditioner has been a little wonky lately, and I've been getting an occasional check engine light going off an on, but other than that it runs like a champ. Paid it off five years ago and haven't had more than a fleeting thought about getting a new one. It's not like I'd get much for trade in value at this point, so it's worth more to me as a runner.

Draft saved Draft deleted