1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Canucks Are Coming! The Canucks Are Coming!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The NCAA made an interesting decision today, allowing Canadian colleges to apply for NCAA membership - in Dvision II.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3196028

2. Canucks, I beg of you, do not get yourself involved with the profit-fattened TV whores of the NCAA. Run. Run away. Run away fast.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Not surprised UBC and SFU are among the first to want an application. SFU is a former
    NAIA member and UBC has been bleating for years about wanting to provide scholarships to athletes.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Giant ho hum.

Canadian universities DO offer athletic scholarships. Two of my kids are on football scholarships: one gets about 3/4 of his tuition paid for for five years and the other about half. And they're both attending a university that's regularly ranked in the top three undergrad schools in Canada. And in beautiful Nova Scotia to boot.

But you also have to maintain academic eligibility i.e. 65%. You don't and you're out.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah but that makes it unfair, JR ... You can't attract the big, pork-rind-eatin', dumbasses for the O-line that way.

6. Pork-rind eatin' dumbasses?
    Hey, if your Canucks don't like America, why don't you go back where you came from?

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Because our hockey players make too much money down there.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

65 percent? You Canucks are too lenient.

No wonder you're soft and love flannel.

9. Honestly not trying to be a smartass, but do they play American rules American football at the university level, or is it the Canadian football version? I'm too lazy to google.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Canadian. Rouge, baby, rouge. :)

However, some high schools play four down football with Canadian rules (and Canadian field). Great idea at that level.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

B.C. high schools play American rules.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All American?

No rouge, the wussy fair catch rule, eleven men?

Draft saved Draft deleted