1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Camby "trade"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 17, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If this is a D_B, I apologize.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9902831

Don't you have to get something in return? Something? Anything?

They just gave him away. I know cap room and trade clauses, but they just gave him away.

A center that blocks shots just given away.

The NBA is just insane.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Salary caps = teh AWESOME!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP was so excited that somebody gave him an excuse for that one that what little spelling skills he had abandoned him.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I can't believe they couldn't get a first round pick from a team that thinks it will be in the playoffs next year. I can understand why a team wouldn't want to give up a lottery pick, but Camby can still play and make an impact.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Clips were one of like three teams in the Association under the cap. Therefore salaries didn't have to match.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a dumb move. When healthy, this guy is a rebounding and blocking machine. Outside of his time in New York, Camby has been outstanding and well worth the $10 million.

I wonder what Brand is thinking now.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That they couldn't have made the trade if Elton's salary was still on the books?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Still doesn't mean he's not thinking, "What if?"

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Ah, of course. I didn't think of that. I still can't believe they didn't get something of value for him.

10. TheSportsPredictor

They wouldn't have been able to afford Camby if they kept Brand.

Don't get overexcited about Camby. He's hurt more often than healthy, he's old, and his teams routinely go 1-4 in the playoffs. He hasn't been on the winning side of a playoff series this century. And he's overpaid.

Things will get even worse in L.A.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not overexcited about Camby. I don't give a hoot about the deal; I'm a Minnesota fan. I just think he's an excellent talent and isn't the blame for the Nuggets' failures.

12. TheSportsPredictor

But they did. They got this, which is extremely valuable in salary-capped leagues:

Draft saved Draft deleted