1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The C Word

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Jan 26, 2009.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

KG,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. My grandmother had cancer when I was in high school. Had a mastectomy on one of her breasts and a round of chemo and went into remission. Last year, the cancer came back in the other. She had it removed, too and is recovering well. I am praying for a good recovery for your mother as well. You have a good sounding board here. As much as we all bicker and fight, this place is like a family. You can always come to anyone here and they'll support you and cry for you and with you.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Wow, KG.....sorry to hear the bad news. Try to stay positive, give whatever support your mom needs.. and, based, on your family history.. not too early to think about how this impacts you and your future health and if there's anything measures you can take.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

KG--Have yourself the crazy cry you deserve, and then look forward. Options, treatment, survival.

There are countless cancer survivors out there...never stop believing your mom will be one of them.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Many, many prayers, KG.
    Think optimistic.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

My grandmother died of breast cancer and while it was hard on everyone, it did bring the family together which was a great thing. I learned a lot about death by seeing how she lived.

The best thing you can do is give her love and encouragement. Enjoy your time together, say everything you're scared of saying, and let the chips fall where they may.

Regardless of the outcome, you'll be a better person for having gone through all of this.

Take care.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

KG,
    I've been fearing the worst since you first posted about your mom.

And it didn't dawn on me this morning when I first saw the thread, thinking it was something entirely different. I didn't check the thread until just now, and my heart sank.

But know that this beatable. My grandmother is a survivor going on two years now, and her prognosis at the beginning was not very good. But she made it through and has shown no signs of the disease since.

From getting to know you over the last several months, I know you are a strong woman. And knowing you're probably just like your mom, I'd be willing to bet she's a strong woman. Just know that if you ever need to talk, I'm just a phone call away.

Much love,
    KY

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

KG, my prayers are with you and your mom.

If you're so inclined, I just looked up a site that may help you in your prayers.

http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm

In just a short time at that site I feel I've learned a lot about how I need to pray.

I will continue to pray for her and you.

Be strong. This isn't a death sentence at this point by any means.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hugs and prayers, KG. Stay strong.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Just an update. The cancer is too aggressive for surgery right now. She has to do six months of chemo before they'll even think about surgery. She'll find out more about what stage it is after they remove a lymph node next week.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. It helps to know people are thinking of her. It also helps to know have have people to go to if I need to talk. ;) I'm warning you now, I've pretty much stayed in denial so far, and I don't know how much longer I can stay sane.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

More prayers coming.

Don't put expectations on yourself about when it would be OK to let go of denial. You'll have the reactions you need to be having based on that moment. Trust yourself, both your mind and your heart.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't believe I just read this thread now. I'm sorry to find out everything you're going through. You'll be in my thoughts.

As a cancer survivor myself, I know how hard it must be for you to deal with your mother and this battle. The other frame of reference I have besides my grandmother and great aunt surviving breast cancer and my grandfather dying from lung cancer is trying to imagine how my father felt about his SON facing a life or death battle.

There were times when we'd wait for the doctor that I was trying to calm my father down. Hell, there were times I wished he weren't at the doctor's office with me, and I normally relied on him to explain all the medical terms to me since he's a retired registered nurse and I always worry about whether or not I can understand what the doctors talk about.

If you need anything, I'm a PM away.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

All good thoughts for you and your family.

Draft saved Draft deleted