1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The C Word

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Re: Prayers Needed

Good luck to her, KG.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

KG:

I've learned a lot more about dealing with a mom's illness over the past few months (indeed, just the past few weeks) than I ever wished or thought possible. I know the fear you're going thru and will be holding a good thought for you.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

KG, darling, we're all here for you. Stress and cry and freak out away, honey.

My grandmother (just passed in September, RIP crazy old lady) had breast cancer many years ago, back before all the fancy equipment and tests and medicines they have now. One double mastectomy later, she survived many more years (the whole thing happened before I was born; I'm 26) and never had a return of the cancer. Lots of things are possible, especially with a positive outlook. My mom had a tumor removed from her eye in November and I was scared beyond words that it was going to be cancer. It turned out not to be, but I don't know what I would have done had it been.

Much like others have said, PM if you ever need anything.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

KG,
    Hope everything turns out better than expected. If it doesn't, like so many others have said here, there are lots of breast cancer survivors out there, including several in my extended family.

Hang in there and be sure to lean on those who care for you --- like us.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

KG,

Your mom is lucky to have you. It sounds like she is quite a strong woman. I'm sure she will be fine.

Prayers your way.

I know lots and lots of women who survive breast cancer and breast cancer scares.

6. KG

KG Active Member

The C Word

I just found out this morning that it is cancer.

I don't really know many details, because she had to whisper to tell me. Her father is staying at her house, because she has a little propane-fueled fireplace looking thing (no other heat because of the ice storm). She doesn't want to tell him yet, because cancer is what took her mother and grandmother from this world before the age of 70.

The only thing I know is that surgery and treatment will be delayed quite a bit because of the ice storm.

My sister, who drove all the way to Atlanta for refuge from the ice storm, is still sleeping, but I have to tell her when she wakes.

I wish I could just go back to yesterday.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm so sorry, but I will keep my fingers tightly crossed.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn--not the news I wanted to read. Here's hoping for some more positive vibes down the road.

Stay strong, KG for you, your family and your mom.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that, KG. Rremember you have a lot of people who are here for you, most of us with at least some understanding of what you are going through.

Many of us have lost loved ones to cancer, but we also know survivors. I have mentioned many times on here that I lost my father to lung cancer, usually during one of my rants against smoking. But my wife's aunt is still going strong six years after being diagnosed with breast cancer. My best friend beat cancer when he was a teenager despite a terrible prognosis when they first found it. You would never know either of those last two had been sick. It can be done. Make sure you keep that in mind.

One thing I strongly suggest is educating yourself. Find out exactly what her condition is and do your own research. Don't just ask your mother what is going on. Talk to the doctors if you can. This is for your piece of mind and it will help you to be there for her.

Don't panic if they talk about worst-case scenarios. That's what the doctors have to do, prepare your mother and her family for the worst that can happen, then help her to fight for the best.

Best of luck to you and your mother, KG. I know we don't know each other, but a sympathetic ear and a little experience is a PM away if you need them, whether it be me or many others on SportsJournalists.com that you turn to.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

KG,

Ugh. I'm sorry for everyone affected, from the party with the disorder to you, the bearer of bad news to many, to anyone else she calls family or a friend.

Is there any way she can be transported to a facility that is more fully functioning? In some cases, there's no rush but in others, it can make all the difference. Has anyone asked? Can the physician do anything about this?

Is some cases, people in charge of health care always strive to do the right things. But in others, probing leads to progress.

Regardless, stay strong. We're all here for you.

Take care,
    SM51

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

All positive thoughts and strength to you and your family.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sending you positive thoughts. You have a lot of friends here. Rely upon them when you need. Please keep us posted, and let your loved ones and your mom know she has a lot of support.

Draft saved Draft deleted