1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The C Word

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Re: Prayers Needed

Hang in there, KG. I've been in your shoes I don't know how many times. Remember to keep breathing.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

Prayers sent. FWIW, one of our stringers is 15 years clear of breast cancer.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hoping and wishing you and your mom all the best, KG. Prayers on the way.

4. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

The candles are lit and the prayers are sent.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

KG,

My mom had breast cancer in 2001, overcame it, and is completely healthy now. I was a wreck - just a sophomore in high school - but I knew I had to be strong for the family. My younger brother and sister needed me to, and I think that my fronted confidence about it was a source of strength for my mom and the rest of the family. We had many people pulling for her, and I do think in a way their positive energy helped her out. The radiation and chemo weren't really working, so they did an experimental procedure at the time where they harvested her non-infected blood stem cells and essentially drained her body of blood. They then had a large blood transfusion and replanted the stem cells back into her. She soon recovered, and the tests have shown no signs of any cancer since.

Just know that we're here for you to vent to, and that being positive and loving around her at every moment you can is what is really needed. Put your trust in science because it's really amazing what they can do. Put your faith that what's best will happen in the end, and soak up every minute you can enjoying your love.

Take care, and if you want, pm me at any time.

-Beet

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

KG,

You're in my thoughts. Stay strong. And, if necessary, Keep Pounding.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks, you guys, for all your prayers.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hope it can be of some consolation that my mother and aunt are both breast cancer survivors as well.

My mom completely made it out like it was nothing when she had it and, fortunately, they caught it early enough that a lumpectomy was all she needed. I got scared when she first told me, but she was so strong about it, I rarely worried after it (she also didn't tell me at all until two days before the lumpectomy, so I didn't have much time to worry about it before it was over).

My aunt had to do chemo and lost her hair just before my cousin's wedding. Fortunately, she got a great wig and you legitimately couldn't tell. I actually think that was the worst thing to her - losing her hair before her daughter's wedding. She made it through great, though, and hasn't had any problems since (knock on wood).

May you one day be telling someone else your mother's survival story.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My dad died of cancer when I was a teenager, and thinking of someone having to helped a loved one through that is sad to comprehend and brings so much back. It's tough to go through, but everyone seems to find a gear of strength they never thought they could have.

Do know, and pray, that the results will be benign. But you are a life force to those you know, and I know you will be a tremendous spiritual help to your mom, if things come down to that. But you're allowed to be weak, too, and that's what we're here for. Hugs.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

KG,

Thoughts going out to your whole family from my corner. And we all need our moms. That never fades. I talk to mine at least once a day.

Breast cancer runs on my mom's side of the family, but it hasn't taken anyone yet. It's cost some boobs, but never a life. So stay as strong as you can, and let out here the things you can't say at home.

My best.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

KG,

Prayers going up.

I know several people whose first children were conceived following a health crisis in the family. It's a really natural reaction.

And repeating what IJAG said, of course you still need your mother. You're supposed to.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

KG, prayers are heading your way. My grandma went through this a few years back, so I know how scary and uncertain this time can be.

And if you need anything from a fellow Kentuckian, you know where to find me.

Draft saved Draft deleted