1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The c-word

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 9, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Maybe if you're Isiah Thomas, Diab...

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not "just like" bitch and ho.

How can I make the point....?

---------

Interviewer.....Chevy Chase
    Mr. Wilson.....Richard Pryor

Interviewer: Alright, Mr. Wilson, you've done just fine on the Rorshact.. your papers are in good order.. your file's fine.. no difficulties with your motor skills.. And I think you're probably ready for this job. We've got one more psychological test we always do here. It's just a Word Association. I'll throw you out a few words - anything that comes to your mind, just throw back at me, okay? It's kind of an arbitrary thing. Like, if I say "dog", you'd say..?

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Tree". [ nods head, prepares the test papers ] "Dog".

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Fast".

Mr. Wilson: "Slow".

Interviewer: "Rain".

Mr. Wilson: "Snow".

Interviewer: "White".

Mr. Wilson: "Black".

Interviewer: "Bean".

Mr. Wilson: "Pod".

Interviewer: [ casually ] "Negro".

Mr. Wilson: "Whitey".

Interviewer: "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: [ silent, sure he didn't hear what he thinks he heard ] What'd you say?

Interviewer: [ repeating ] "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: "Ofay".

Interviewer: "Colored".

Mr. Wilson: "Redneck".

Interviewer: "Junglebunny".

Mr. Wilson: [ starting to get angry ] "Peckerwood!"

Interviewer: "Burrhead".

Mr. Wilson: [ defensive ] "Cracker!"

Interviewer: [ aggressive ] "Spearchucker".

Mr. Wilson: "White trash!"

Interviewer: "Jungle Bunny!"

Mr. Wilson: [ upset ] "Honky!"

Interviewer: "Spade!

Mr. Wilson: [ really upset ] "Honky Honky!"

Interviewer: [ relentless ] "Nigger!"

Mr. Wilson: [ immediate ] "Dead honky!" [ face starts to flinch ]

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And Bitch and Ho isn't?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've certainly encountered Zell's attitude -- we're outlawing the word "can't" -- on newspapers, and what it says to me is that they don't want the staff to speak honestly. When it comes from an editor, it means that although the words may superficially be directed at the newsroom, really the editor is trying to impress the publisher. When it comes from the Sam Zells of the world -- well, even if the sentiment is sincere, he ought to know that we've been trained from the get-go to dismiss catch phrases, buzzwords and platitudes no matter the source.

I can't speak for other departments, but it's no way to reach a newsroom. No matter the audience, he'd probably gain more respect by rephrasing it as a defeatist attitude isn't going to be especially helpful, we need you to help us identify how we can restore first your belief in our products and then our customers'. He would achieve his desired effect rather than coming off like a scolding parent telling a 5-year-old, "Don't ever let me hear you say the c-word again!"

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There are good ways to get a point across and bad ways.

Zell's approach is a bad one. Then-Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson has a good one. Instead of saying "Don't fumble," he'd say "protect the football." Positive image instead of a negative one.

He's also the guy who'd cut a third string tight end for falling asleep in a meeting, but would turn around and "punish" Troy Aikman for falling asleep by whispering "Troy! Troy! Wake up!"

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You just now discovering that there's preferential treatment in this world?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You think I'm condemning Johnson for that? Hell no.

You earn privileges. In his way of thinking, Aikman had. The third string tight end had not.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling Hondo has had this kind of conversation before?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I should clarify ... I'm not saying that Hondo has called any black person any of the above stuff I included in that post, nor am I saying he would ... I'm just trying to point out that asking why a female wouldn't have a sense of humor about the c-word is akin to asking why blacks get their boxers in a bunch about the words used above.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It is almost that bad. Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted