1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Business Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are folks here with razor-sharp minds for business. Can one or more of you break this down for me:

We do what's called in business research, "Rapid Business Assessments". This includes but is not limited to: Actual counts of foot traffic of markets from multiple vantage points, then averaged out to minimize error. We also do partial, hourly counts and then extrapolate forward. We do all of this on a consistent and scientific basis.

... as it relates to TRYING to do a head-count at an open farmers market. First of all, the guy who wrote that claims he's doing the counting, when I know for a fact he spends most of his time talking to people and playing on his iPad. Other times he has come into the gallery to talk to me for upward of an hour so there's no way he could've kept tabs on foot traffic then. Basically he's a bullshitter of the highest order.

That said, I Googled Rapid Business Assessments and to me it has very little to do with the paragraph I just posted from a guy who was just proven to be a liar and possibly plagiarist.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

don't get pitched on any type of marketing research.

determine what you business objectives are. fromer there you can figure out what type of marketing data.
    then you draft a SOW for that marketing research and take proposals.

this guy doesn't know what you want. he's just trying to sell you seomthing that may or may not be valid data

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

i'll give you an example:

Let's say your objective is to increase sales of pieces in your gallery.
    Is driving up general foot traffic a valid tactic for that? Are the people who attend farmer's markets the right audience to attempt to translate into art buyers?

I don't know, but those are things you need to determine before you pay somebody to assess foot traffic at the farmer's market.

4. Songbird

He's not selling me anything. He's a complete bullshit artist.

Every word in this post is bullshit. I don't think he *ever* talked to Bobby Cox let alone about what he claims they talked about. And then he says baseball consumption is down by the hour when it's never been more robust.

Which is why I want someone to help me track down Cox and see if he remembers such an interaction, which I doubt existed.

cox1.png

Re: consumption ...

This is from a Forbes article last week:

consumption MLB.png

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand the thread.

6. Songbird

It's really just about the business thing. He's spouting off bullshit as if he's a business expert. I'd never heard of Rapid Business Assessment, and as someone here told me in a PM, it's really utter bullshit.

The things I posted today are just more bullshit.

Carry on.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ok, I will.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Surly crowd, you Vermonters.
    Why don't you hit him with a syrup bucket?

9. Songbird

He'd fit right in here with the bucket few of factual sputum he coughs up everyday.

10. Songbird

And buckets are away now that the first light snows have arrived. Anyone got a scraper?

Draft saved Draft deleted