1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bush Administration -- A Committment To Excellence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

http://wonkette.com/politics/margaret-spellings/education-sec-loses-to-dude-from-earth-girls-are-easy-216691.php

Maybe Spellings should have tried "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Toby, Toby, come quick.

Sam's getting beat up by a girl.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

(Note: I'm looking at this from the point of view of the administration trying to stay on its message and keep the press in check. From media standpoint it might be totally different.)

With the proviso that a press secretary can be only as good as the president he serves, I'd say some good ones in recent history have been Stephanopolis, Ari Fleisher and Tony Snow(job), who was extremely effective political views notwithstanding. Perino (the worst), McClellan, and Joe Lockhart were horrible, I thought.

C-SPAN had an excellent program not long ago with several press secretaries covering the Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Ford, Bush, Bush and Clinton admins. It was a fascinating conversation to eavesdrop on. Of course, it was the old dogs who had the best war stories. You could tell the more recent ones were holding back. I do remember Joe Lockhart telling a story about Clinton that had the whole panel and audience laughing to the point of tears. If I recall the story I'll report back.

4. DanOregon

Here's a vote for Mike McCurry from the Clinton admin. He followed DeeDee Meyers (who was hamstrung by the Clinton team not giving her access to stuff the press wanted to know). McCurry was pretty well respected, demanding better Oval Office access, but he fled once the Monica stuff got out of hand.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I remember seeing that show, but don't remember the Clinton story.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I remember, as a little kid, thinking that Larry Speakes must have gotten the job as Reagan's spokesman because, well, his name was Speakes. Made perfect sense then...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

See, if we had instituted NCLB years ago, this wouldn't be an issue.

8. DanOregon

Figured I'd recycle this in light of the McLellan book coming out. No surprises for me. Sounds like a lot of 20/20 hindsight. Biggest surprise was that the White House folks just didn't say, "it's not true." Playing the "disgruntled" card is so passe.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He seemed plenty gruntled while he was still working there.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's my question. Where the fuck was all this when he was dishing out his bullshit in 03-04?

What a dipshit.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Has its own thread. Shitty headline, though — I can see why you'd have missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted