1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From his quotes this week you and Reggie both.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jason Giambi cameo? Really?

I believe Spnited ripped me a new one for joking about this show a few weeks ago and one of the things I mentioned was cameos by ESPN personalities.

I wasn't that far off.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Affirmative. Giambi was the cabbie who asks Reggie if he's going to be a Yankee as Jackson and Steinbrenner stroll through New York after lunch.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy. That's some deep television there by ESPN. Reggie and Steinbrenner walked through NYC and the cabbie asks that? They weren't stretching worse than a eunuch-ized Plasticman for that cameo were they?

Why didn't they just go whole hog and have Giambi run up to Jackson with a beanie on and a "You Toucha My Shirt And I Breaka You Face" t-shirt from that era and have him breathlessly exclaim, "Say it IS so, Reg! Say it is so!"

"It's so kid!"

"Yay! Boogie all night long! I just wish there was a 24-hour sports cable television network to tell the whole world!"

Cue George Grande footage and Chris Berman with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

At least then it would have been stupidly entertaining instead of awesomely clunky.

This just reaffirms my decision to not say anything in the hospital last night when my wife, who was recovering from emergency surgery, decided to put the Cosby Show on, saccahrin-ized BS though that show was.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, they certainly didn't go all out in that regard. I also immediately noticed that when they removed Reggie from the game, he had his back to the dugout talking to someone in the bullpen, and for some reason there was a line running parallel to the wall along the warning track. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure the foul line doesn't run across the warning track in front of the bullpen at Fenway. That may seem little, but it also seems like you'd have to go out of your way to screw something like that up -- if you're shooting on green grass, someone had to paint a white line. It just always amazes me that things like that get messed up in sports shows/movies. Aren't any of these writers/directors sports fans?

From there, I just kept it on in the background and did catch that little thing w/ Jackson and the reporter after which was the most entertaining moment of the entire show. I certainly won't go out of my way to catch this over the next EIGHT weeks.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Anybody know if they're re-airing the first episode? I tuned in, watched 10 minutes of home-run derby, then gave up ...

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

hey. let me answer my own question, instead of being lazy. it's on ESPN2 tonight (ok, early tomorrow) at 1 a.m., then back on espn wednesday night at 10 p.m. ...

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Genius.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

too much bad acting. Only tuturro is carrying this mess.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hope your wife's doing OK.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

BiB was watchable, for Platt and Tuturro (It doesn't do him justice as a damn good actor to make him look one of those infamous NY rats hiding in the sewers and the subway). Casty, I understand your point. If HR Derby would have cut the outs to five and if ESPN would have let BBTN show up and in turn punish Leather and kept his beached orca ass in Bristol, BiB would have started on time.
    Bubbler, spnited owes you a Yeungling for that rip job that blew up in his face.

Is it me or do I think that the guy playing Reggie looked eerily similar to Ron Glass in "Barney Miller"?

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I did see a little of it at 1:30 this morning. And, if the Post is right, they're rerunning the entire episode tonight (Wed.) at 10. Agree that Tuturro is excellent, other than his incredibly large ears. And Platt is a good actor who has all George's moves okay but doesn't look like him. Keep in mind that one of the production assistants in the production was Fran Healy so maybe some of the scenes are overdone.

Also enjoyed watching my friend Dan Lauria as the chief of detectives going after Son of Sam.

And I'm still pissed at ESPN but am glad so many others are, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted