1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 9, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I didn't see a minute of it and I'll tell you why. I was actually looking forward to the show after all the hype and promotion. So at 10 p.m., the scheduled time for the show, I switch to ESPN and what do I see but the contrived and uninteresting home run contest, which I never watch. I hear one scream out of Chris Berman's mouth, can tell it's still early in the contest and turn it off.

Now, I have not been one of the board members who constantly rip ESPN because the rest of you do a good enough job of it, but this actually pissed me off. I wanted to see The Bronx Is Burning, not hear Berman holler his back, back, back bullshit.

Consequently, I now join the anti-ESPN group.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't think it matters much whether you read the book first or not -- after all, it's not fiction. You know what happened with the Yanks and that there was an NYC blackout in 1977.

That said, I just finished the book and it was really good. Didn't break much new ground, but did a very good job essaying the times.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I liked the first episode, a lot of it has to do with my expectations were so low. But it kept me interested for an hour....I liked the "backstory" piece with Reggie and the journalist discussing the SPORT magazine article

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this a show about the current Yankees team?

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

I liked the first episode. I think I'll watch the whole miniseries. The backstory part was interesting, but I had heard it before from both sides, maybe on a Sports Century profile of Jackson, but not sure. Not a great program, but interesting none the less.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was crap. Why is it so hard for ESPN to make a passable docudrama?

I especially loved the depiction of the first Son of Sam murder. We're just in a car, two kids are talking, shots of each other speaking about nothing important, then a close up of the guy changing the radio station, then a VERY long shot of the murders. I can't say I've ever seen such an awful reconstruction…Unsolved Mysteries was better.

7. boots

boots New Member

It was dramatic but definitely had realism. Munson was a nasty SOB. Reggie has an ego and Martin was a womanizing drunk. Steinbrenner has mellowed some with age but he's still George and people still kiss his ass. Ask Michael Kay.

8. Oliver Platt is very underrated.
    Not bad for a WWL product.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you watch it, FB? His channeling of Steinbrenner was not far removed from Larry David's interpretation on Seinfeld.

10. boots

boots New Member

Platt reminded me of George in so many ways, He was great. I was glad that i could watch both that and The Closer.

11. Yeah, but I'm not Seinfeld fan enough to have made the match.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the clips from actual games. The rest of it -- or, the rest of the 45 minutes I watched -- was dreck. I'll probably skip the remaining episodes.

Draft saved Draft deleted