1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 9, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is one of the funniest things to me having remembered those two Yankees championships from when I was a kid, and having been around for the more recent ones between 1996 and 2000. I believe at the end of the series in 1977 (they closed out at Dodger Stadium in 1978, right?) the fans were actually sitting on top of the outfield fence ready to run out and destroy the field and attack anything else that was moving. The game was still going on and there was such a chaotic, dangerous feel to the stadium.

Not with Giuliani as mayor, though. He had the cops in riot gear, sitting on horseback lined up all the way around the field and behind the outfield fences. There was no way anyone was getting anywhere near that field after the more recent championships. I wouldn't be surprised if the cops had shoot to kill orders. We joked one year that the only thing missing were the vats of boiling tar being poured down from the upper deck to keep people at a distance.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So where does Game 6 rank among the most memorable things you've ever covered? I'd have to imagine pretty high.

Draft saved Draft deleted