1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bronx Is Burning... from the inside

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Aug 12, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

From one of the best who knows more about the Yankess of that era than just about anyone, what it was really like:

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1186893601111330.xml&coll=1

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed. moss is/was da man!! 8) 8) 8)

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Outstanding read

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was really good. Man I would have loved to work in that era of accessibility.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think even more than being accessable, the players actually said something. They expressed how they felt about George, Martin, Reggie and the rest. Something that you don't get in today's politically correct, corporate culture.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm guessing Moss remembers this with fondness the way some guys look back on their Army days after 30 years. Your perspective softens on what was a grueling experience at the time, and you take some pride in having endured it.

The guys who were on the Yankees beat back then were on 24-hour call, because you never knew where or when something might happen.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the read.

Loved the part about the candy bar:

8. He should put that in book form. I'd read it.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

He already did:

"Damned Yankees" by Moss and Bill Madden of the NYDN

http://www.amazon.com/Damned-Yankees-No-Holds-Barred-Account-Steinbrenner/dp/0446515442

From Publishers Weekly
    New York Daily News reporter Madden and Klein, of the Newark Star-Ledger , who have covered the Yankees for years, here join forces on a history that may send fans to their handkerchiefs and opponents into laughter. The authors chiefly discuss the period 1977 to 1989, when principal team owner George Steinbrenner converted a stable, conservative, successful franchise into a club characterized by "chaos, confusion, and craziness" to the point that some top players refuse to sign with the team. Control of the Yankees, argue Madden and Klein, has been ruled by the whims of a tyrant; as a result, the era they survey has seen 18 managers, 11 presidents, 10 PR agents and innumerable here-today, gone-tomorrow players. Such volatility makes for a rollicking though dismaying tale, related here with gusto. Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.

10. Thanks. I'll pick it up. Surprised they didn't put that in the tagline below his story.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a great book. One of my all-time favorites.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'll second that, those five beat writers must have enjoyed every second of covering that club.

Draft saved Draft deleted