1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bright Side of COVID-19 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 1, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

MTM likes this.
  3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I, and my volleyball club, have discovered the usefulness of workouts and practices using the zoom app. We will continue to use it as an added feature even when things return to “normal” and we’re able to get back in the gym. I’m lucky to have some coaches who have discovered how to use it well.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock won’t be on tv anymore.

It’s the small things. (pauses) I’m not going to make the joke.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's part of a larger picture with FOX Sports, specifically FS1.

In 2015/2016, they made the big moves to bring in Cowherd, Skip, Cris Carter, Nick Wright, Whitlock. Big contracts. Four years later, are they getting the payoff for it? Cowherd and Skip are making $6 million each but FS1 commands pennies on the dollar compared to ESPN getting $90 per subscriber per year.

Credit to FOX for shelling out and trying to make a run at the WWL on morning talk/debate shows but, as the world shifts to podcasts, I wonder if the model is changed forever, too.

My own use: I don't watch or listen to any sports talk live in 2020. I'll watch games live but, now, I'll just listen to podcasts.

Hermes likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As more than a few Fox Sports hosts would say on the situation - "guy needs to know his worth. Take less and suck it up."

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Really the only positive effects I see are to the global environment (pollution, ozone layer, etc.).

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The WWL laid off a few people not too long ago, so they may not have been getting that much bang for the
    buck with their talent.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Of the Fox folks, I could take Cowherd in very small doses. The others, not at all.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

When martial law comes and we're no longer allowed outside our homes, at least we'll be used to being inside

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    poindexter likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The six-foot zone.

I went to the deli the other day and was waiting in line. The guy behind me scooted up pretty close. I moved up a little further. He followed. I did it again. He followed.

Maybe you have a four-foot zone, but dude, don't be right up on my behind.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted