1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The branding of Bud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 14, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The point wasn't that Caminiti died or what he died of. The point is that he was an admitted user and the quote from Towers was that he knew Caminiti was using but looked the other way. That pretty much sums up baseball at the time. Towers can't speak for 29 other GMs and the commissioners office. But I can't believe anyone thinks that most of the execs within baseball didn't have strong suspicions and even proof. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the commisioners office had tangible proof that it had gathered on its own and that it is keeping hidden. Don't forget about the FBI agent who came forward at the time Canseco's book came out saying that the FBI had told the commisioners office about specific players using, including Canseco, a decade earlier. I just found the guy's quote: "There's very little question the use of steroids was very widespread in baseball," Stejskal told the newspaper. "And Major League Baseball, in effect, they didn't sanction it, but they certainly looked the other way."

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Did you ever stop to think there may be a gap between your imagination and reality?

3. The Big Ragu

Great point. Thanks for the well-reasoned response.

4. cranberry

I'm not the one extrapolating from a handful of quotes over a decade that everybody in baseball was involved in some type of cover up. It's nonsense.

5. The Big Ragu

Ah yes. The cranberry style of message board posting. You are incapable of having a message board discussion without mischaracterizing people you are disagreeing with. Where did I write anything remotely suggesting that "everybody in baseball was involved in some type of cover up"? Go blow bubbles somewhere.

6. cranberry

Have you ever been in a major-league clubhouse or is your investigative journalism limited to trying to corner Creamora on a message board?

7. The Big Ragu

Yes. I have. Do I have street cred with you now? [/rolling my eyes]

8. cranberry

No.

9. Having Bud around has never improved any event -- except that it gives us the chance to count how often he brushes his hair out of his eyes and says "frankly" or "quite candidly."

10. Then why in hell didn't this FBI guy bust people?

11. The Big Ragu

I can't speak for what they specifically had and didn't have because I don't know. I can only speak to what the agent told the Daily News. But from what I do know about the FBI's probe in the 90s, they were going after dealers, not users to make the most of their limited resources. I just googled it and came up with stories about it. It was called "Operation Equine" Below is a link to a Daily News story from the same time that explains the probe was targeting the dealers, not the users. Their explanation in the story was:

http://www.ergogenics.org/fbi3.html

The FBI could be full of shit... Or they could be telling the truth.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have a rather chicken, if not novel, solution. Bud should resign as commissioner and say he's doing so to put his focus on the best team in the NL Central.

Draft saved Draft deleted