1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The branding of Bud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 14, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A strong boss would have Barry Bonds taken out beforehand to avoid this bit of unpleasantness.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Or he can just stick with his go-to reaction:

[​IMG]

Personally, I think he should be there. While I don't believe Bonds did it clean, Selig has to go one of two ways: Asterisk the achievement, or be there and celebrate it. There's no middle ground. Either Selig actually takes a stand :):))and says it's tainted, or he shows up to the game. My guess is he shows up.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Selig needs to be there, or he needs to charge Bonds with a crime. Bonds either breaks the record or he doesn't--if he does, you do your job and represent baseball regardless of personal feelings. Otherwise find a way to definitively discredit all those home runs. Can't have it both ways.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Selig has to go to the game(s) (it would be great to see Barry stuck on 755 for a month and Selig have to go to every game). He's the freaking commissioner and, no matter how much of a mess he has made with baseball and 'roids, it's his mess. It's finally time to sit in it, in the most public forum the baseball/steroid subject will ever have outside the Congressional hearings.

If it was anyone else breaking such a record, MLB would stop the game for six hours with tributes, speeches and other assorted bullshit. Surely they won't do that (though the Giants surely will do something if it's in their park), but Selig has to be there or he's more of a chump than he already is.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. He can sit in the same one Bowie Kuhn did when Aaron broke Ruth's record...

[​IMG]

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

The fact that we are even "debating" this tells you the importance of this future record.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So should Selig follow around Bonds when he gets to 755 until he breaks it?
    It could take a while for Bonds to get pitches. Giving up 756 is the last thing any pitcher wants. With the rest of the Giants lineup pretty weak I won't be surprised if it takes him longer because he'll start seeing fewer and fewer pitches.
    I remember when Roger Clemens was going for his 300th win, it seemed like it took him a good three weeks between 299 and 300.
    This isn't like Cal Ripken's record where you all but knew the date in which it would happen.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if he's there at the precise moment, he still has to do the shake hands thing, even if it's the next night.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're right. Still a crappy position to be in. I'd feel a bit more sympathy if he hadn't been sitting there in St. Louis to watch McGwire break the single-season record in 1998--he knew the score then, just as he does now. He was all too happy to ride the boon to baseball the steroid-HRs brought that year. Now it's time for him to pay the price.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So when does Bud "need" to make that first appearance?

When Bonds is at 755, because the next one breaks it?

At 754, because Bonds could always hit two in a game and break it?

At 753, because Bonds could always hit three in a game and break it?

And should Bonds go into a home run drought, how long must Bud travel with the show? A week? Two weeks?

That's why I say Bud doesn't have to commit to anything.

A home run is not like Michael Jordan being two points from the all-time scoring record. You know Jordan will get those two points. You don't know when Bonds will hit the HR.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm not saying independent of the owners, I realize who he works for. I'm saying completely independent of any team. More or less, just someone competent would be nice.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, he should follow him around. He was there in 1998, I'm pretty sure he was there in 2001, he needs to be there this year. He should be there starting at 754. If Bonds hits three in a game to break the record, I think we can all let the Commish slide for missing it. There's virtually no chance a team would give him a chance to break it after he hit two previous homers in the same game.

A big part of Selig's job is represent MLB. It's not like you're asking him to go above and beyond his job duties and no one's asking him to neglect his other duties. There is nothing he does in his offices that he can't do on the road.

This is a no-brainer, no matter how much he or other people don't like Bonds.

Draft saved Draft deleted