1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The branding of Bud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

It seems that Bud Selig is in a tough situation. If he doesn't attend the game or acknowledge Barry Bonds breaking Hank Aaron's MLB record, he'll be labeled a racist.
    If he acknowlege's it, he'll be considered a weak commissioner.
    If you were Bud, what would you do?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't know, maybe Buck can help me, were other commissioners present at the breaking of other milestones?

If there was not a commissioner at every other passing of a milestone, he doesn't have to go. If one was there when Rose broke the hit record, Aaron the HR record, Cal Jr. the consecutive games streak, Bud needs to be there.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't much care for Bonds. But if I were Selig, I'd show up but not make a big deal about it. It could be that he doesn't want to commit to being there and then have to change his mind if there is an indictment or something big related to Bonds.

But we could call Bud Mr. November since Game 7 of the World Series this year will be on Nov. 1.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm. Read the post that started this thread and instantly remembered this line from a Bernie Miklasz column I read this this morning. Hmmm:

"Selig can't win either way. If Selig is there to honor Bonds, he'll be accused of putting the official MLB stamp on a bogus record, and that would make him an accessory to fraud. But if Selig avoids Bonds and No. 756, he may be accused of all sorts of things, including racism."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/BBE6B20CF64B90DA862572DB00139769?OpenDocument

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What if he and Aaron were off somewhere together?

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

"The Sports Reporters" discussed this subject, and the concensus seemed to be that he should attend. So I guess the authorities have spoken... (Somebody correct me if I misinterpreted what I heard.)

He can't win, but he's not paid to do only the easy things.

If it's a matter of conscience for him, if he feels deeply enough, then he should stay away. If he does, once he opens his mouth he will have to explain why he hasn't been more outfront on the subject of illegal and game-altering substances.

Since I have little respect for the man, I don't much care what he does. But he represents baseball, so whatever he does, he'd better have a reason. "I was scheduled to take my granddaughter on a brewery tour" won't hack it.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

"The Sports Reporters" are the authorities? I think I'll duck out of the way before the criticism comes pouring in on that statement.

Honestly, whatever he does, I'll be about as big as a Bud Selig fan as I am now — not much of one. He should have stepped aside and baseball should have appointed an independent commissioner a long, long time ago.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Bud should be photographed with Aaron on the day the record falls.

9. boots

boots New Member

If the Sports Reporters validate your feelings, turn in your pen and pad at once.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Pastor has invalidated the sarcasm font.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as an independent commissioner. Never was. This is a myth.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When Bud doesn't show up, he can jsut say this: Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted