1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boz, nice article with the lack of the main source...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"Brian Bosworth has a cold."

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

According to IMDB.com, Bosworth is in a movie with Gary Busey called "Down and Distance" that is scheduled to be released sometime this year. Sounds like a public figure to me.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This book is worth reading and tells you more about the The Boz than that article:

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/speakeasy/2010/08/04/brian-bosworth-80s-hair-metal-and-the-making-of-the-modern-athlete/

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll bet $20 that he returns messages from reporters when it's time to promote the movie, too.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great read. I didn't think it was a hack job.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I learned two things from that novel, one about the subject and one about the author.

1) Bosworth "graduated" with a 3.3 GPA. Go figure.

2) Danny spent half the story letting his readers know he was pissed the subject wouldn't consent to an interview.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agree. I felt that the writer veered across the line a couple of times, in terms of being ticked off and maybe sticking it to Bosworth a little extra because of that. For instance, if he's going to make a big deal about his list of five questions getting snubbed, then tell the readers what the questions were -- the audience can then judge whether Bosworth was being a jerk or whether the questions were too intrusive for a barely-public person now.

But I felt the story of Bosworth was enough to justify the story. You set out to do a where-are-they-now piece and you can't find the principal figure, you either scrap the idea or write a where-aren't-they-now piece. This story was the latter. OK by me.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bo Jackson called, to say:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. Damn good story.

Interesting that his house was used for The OC and to house a rehab program.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I just thought it was a great way to make something out of nothing, which on its surface he didn't appear to have much of if he couldn't contact the main subject.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The five questions were included as a sidebar. None of them seemed too out of line.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2012622680_bozquestions15.html

12. ^^ this. The article did provide at least a couple of things that I am guessing most didn't know about the Boz. But I agree that the writer needs to grow the F up a little and quite referring to the fact that Boz won't talk to him. Newsflash . . . he doesn't have to talk to you just because you wanted to do a story on him. Maybe he is an ass, maybe he isn't, but he doesn't owe the author anything. Maybe Bosworth is thinking, "hmm, you think he is stupid or just persistant, but either way he isn't getting the hint. I don't want to talk to him"??? And it is pretty obvious that Bowsworth's master plan wasn't to end up in the Hall of Fame as a player, so setting himself up as an enterprise pretty much nullifies the idea that he was a failure at what he did at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted