1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boz, nice article with the lack of the main source...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Aug 15, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2012624881_boz15.html

Nice job by Danny O'Neill considering the obstacles.

A lot of lessons on how to do a story when the subject is an asshole and refuses to talk.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think refusing to talk necessarily makes Bosworth an asshole.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

It was how he went about turning him down. Just say no, you know.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The paper trail at the courthouse alone indicates he never did a thing wrong, it was always someone else's fault ...

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Bosworth's asshole credentials have been pretty solidly established over the years.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of running the statement supposedly made by Deion about how he got his nickname because of "that white linebacker from Oklahoma" attributed to Switzer without any corroboration. Would have at least liked to have seen a "no comment" from Deion. Not sure if the writer even bothered to call him.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Extremely well written, but this is a fucking hack job.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What in it is inaccurate?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent job. While harsh, because of the facts, I wouldn't label it as a hack job.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Nothing about it is inaccurate. But at the same time, he didn't give Bosworth a chance to defend himself on things that happened years ago. How does the writer know that Bosworth isn't a completely different person these days?

I'm not saying he is or isn't, but I just got the sense that the writer, because Bosworth didn't respond to his request for a sit-down interview, rehashed old crap to portray Bosworth in the same old light. Again, very well written, but a weak effort as far as reporting goes. If a story isn't there, don't force it.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He didn't give him a chance?

Then he emailed him questions at Bosworth's request, and Bosworth still didn't respond.

He gave Bosworth endless chances to defend himself. Bosworth chose not to. That's his right, but it doesn't kill the story, and it's a good one.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Bosworth is no longer a public figure, clearly, and without getting an interview, this story is just bringing up stuff that happened years go. I don't see the point of a column like this without talking to the main source. Again, I get the sense that he felt slighted and merely penned a smear job on a player that nobody cares about anymore. Waste of space.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted