1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boys on Amazon - spoiler thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Just finished and I loved it. Laughed out loud on a plane both times Deep inadvertently killed, first his dolphin friend then his lobster.

I'm not sure why Annie gave Hughie even as much of a second chance as she did, ESPECIALLY after Butcher shot her twice when they met up. Maybe I missed a little something, but that seemed farfetched.

I've never been a comic book reader, but maybe I'll give it a shot here.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's worth a read if you like the show. It's amazing how much they toned things down for the show. :)

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with anything by Garth Ennis. The Preacher collections are also worth a look.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Just watched the first episode. Hooked.

5. swingline

I like that people aren’t black and white on the show, they’re all shades of gray. Even Homelander, who is evil, has some depth to his character, some early trauma that has informed his present.

But Deep is just a dumbass.

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
  6. swingline

Oh, and I had no idea Bones was British.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Deep's ONS in Ohio made me physically ill, but then so did his scene with Starlight. Frenchie and Komiko kept me engaged during that stretch when Billy Buitcher got less than watchable. This is an Ennis thing, though. The protagonists have some sort of falling out, people part ways, then they get back together when their common enemy seems to be getting the upper hand. (Preacher 3:16)

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I just finished the series tonight. God, that was great viewing. And if it was toned down from the comic, as OOP says, then that comic must be certifiably batshit insane.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - I kept hoping for more than just goofing on superheroes. Figured they left a lot of meat on the bone, particularly about how "heroes" are used to cover up a whole lot of misery. There were a couple of decent bits though.

10. outofplace

Season 3 doesn't arrive until June, but we have a bit of animated fun set in the same universe. The Boys: Diabolical premieres March 4.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. outofplace

I blew through The Boys: Diabolical in a couple of days. It is a series of unrelated shorts, a mixture of humor, drama, and insane, over-the-top violence. Also, each episode includes an intro sequence with Terror. I recommend it for fans of the live-action series and the comic.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. outofplace

Looks like they will be following the lead of the comics and have The Boys take Compound V.

Draft saved Draft deleted