1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boys In The Bunkhouse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NYT with a fantastic - and heartbreaking - multimedia story about a group of mentally-disabled men who were kept as de facto slaves at a turkey plant.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/09/us/the-boys-in-the-bunkhouse.html?_r=1

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Pulitzer contender.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Damn straight. Terrific read and a incredibly sad story.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I watched the video this afternoon. I wanted to reach through and shake the crap out of the townspeople, especially the former mayor.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I know that area, since I live here in Iowa. I'm going to read it before I offer my opinion on it. It was a big story here when it happened.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Des Moines Register also has an interesting followup today on this case. Sounds like there is a lot of difficulty in collecting the judgments owed these men.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20140309/NEWS14/303090023/?odyssey=nav%7Chead

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Possibly one of the worst accounts of human treatment I've ever read; well you know short of slavery and indentured servitude.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not sure what they went through was much different.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

if they were unhappy with their employer they just should have gotten different jobs

miracle of the marketplace

keep guvvmint out of it

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These guys worked at the place Sarah Palin spoke at while campaigning in Iowa:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Terrific read and incredibly sad story, yes. But Pulitzer contender, no. Maybe five years ago if it was them, not the Des Moines paper, that did all the initial heavy lifting. This is a glorified -- and exceptionally done -- Where Are They Now.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why tell that lie? Why bring that crap on here?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted