1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The boys and girls of spring: Sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diego Marquez, May 11, 2009.

1. The Life

The Life Member

Might as well include MLB player since there are more of them than sports writers who actually cover the events she mentioned.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still awaiting the first word remotely resembling "pretty valid reasoning" to explain No. 1.

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

This reminds me of those people who say that our job is so cool because we get paid to cover sports.

But they fail to mention the low pay, high stress, lack of job security, daily threat of pay cuts and furloughs and large amount of time away from our families and friends.

We're not the only ones, but it's not telling the whole story.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Considering the rest of the list includes Pest Control Worker, Housekeeper, Landscaper, and Vendor ("It would sure be nice to spend the day at my local baseball stadium, providing simple pleasures to the fans while watching my favorite team!"), sportswriting doesn't seem so bad.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Plus you can get all of your friends free tickets and autographs.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, it is pretty freakin' sweet.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too bad at all, especially in the spring when you can be home by 7 or 8 o'clock.

But basing that conclusion on the misguided idea that you "take (your) pick" of covering MLB, the Masters and the NBA Finals ... well, that's a tad unrealistic.

8. Nice sig, RickStain!

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

... wonders why anyone has an issue with this.

10. Ditto.

11. lono

lono Active Member

And for those of us fortunate enough to travel regularly, that lends a whole new element of excitement to the job.

Plus, buffets. Don't forget the healthy and nutritious buffets.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Buffets ... I guess that's one way to refer to the deluge of crumbs, fast-food wrappers and stale french fries left on the passenger seat after a week of covering high school track meets. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted