1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boy Who Wouldn't Die... Amazing piece in SI about Rae Carruth's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Once again - no one said this.
    Please get it together.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then clarify this: Why plow old ground?

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

How is it a new story?

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You're being obtuse, Mr. Fart. Are you saying SI should or shouldn't have done this story? You can't have it both ways.

If you're saying it's fine that it did, then good, we're in agreement. If you're saying a three-year-old story in the Charlotte Observer means that SI shouldn't have done it, then you're insane. Please choose.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's a new story every time a new writer takes it up.

It's a new story to every reader who hadn't yet read it.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Of course SI is obligated to do the story.
    But don't get pissy if someone points out the origins of the reporting.
    And I don't care where the fuck you live - the Observer story was more than adequate for its market and audience.

7. Dick Whitman

I need to know specifically what elements of the SI story that Octave objects to. What was too similar? What approach would have worked instead? Let's move past generalities.

8. Dick Whitman

The story is fine. But I didn't see it. I could have seen it, but my reading time every day is finite. I can't scour every sports section in the country looking for takeouts.

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I see exactly where this is headed and I am going to go ahead and take the off-ramp here.
    Good morning to all.
    Have a great day.

10. Dick Whitman

I earnestly, genuinely, civilly want to know your specific thoughts on this. That's where it's headed. This is my last plea for you to share them. Your reaction in this post seems a little hyper-sensitive, and I'm someone who has had his hyper-sensitive moments here.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he's trying to argue a sincere position, DW.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't see anybody getting pissy on here. I'm 99 percent sure that Thomas Lake would know the Charlotte Observer did the story. But outside of The New York Times or the Washington Post doing a big takeout, I would say that most national magazine writers never think of a newspaper story scorching the earth. But now that Lake has done it, I wouldn't write it for ESPN or Esquire, at least not until Carruth is out of prison. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's how it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted