1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boy Who Wouldn't Die... Amazing piece in SI about Rae Carruth's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unless a desker's the one who created the error by adding the word 'and' to the beginning of the quoted sentence in the interest of 'accuracy.'

That happens, too.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I wonder, does the kid have a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The kid looks exactly like his dad.

I was at the same football camps as Rae in high school. He was a strange one, even back then. I never thought he'd kill someone, but I remember he was quite the loner and he was probably the highest-recruited kid there.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a story shortly after the murder where they talked to a GM about why Carruth fell so far in the draft. He was rated the top receiver by most of the experts, and some projected him in the top 10-15 and he fell to the end of the first. I think the story was about whether teams had an inkling that Carruth was f-d in the head before the draft.

One of the GMs was looking at his notes and said he wrote down, "Good speed, not a killer..."

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

This story was covered three years ago.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/11/15/193003/rae-carruths-son-triumphs-over.html

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Listening to the likes of Jones, Junod, Lake and Laskas at the Mayborn this year was one of the best things a journalist could experience. Lake said he'll wait till everybody's done reporting a story so he can report things they way he wants to. Then he gave one of the best quotes of the weekend. "I'm not trying to be timely. I'm trying to write something people will remember."

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love Lake's stuff. He's great.

That being said, as far as that quote ...

Good work if you can get it!

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So Lake can't put his own spin on something?

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And absolutely nothing has happened in the boy's life in the last three years.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Waaaay too much "I" in that.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

OK, that was not the story itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted